Wifi-calling issues

MaxBar

Apr 4, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
I have Galaxy A51 phone with latest Samsung updates.
I have enabled wifi-calling and VoLTE calls at my mobile provider and in the phone,
It kinda works but with issues.

When I'm in my yard or the living room, and I disable mobile-data(for testing) and enable wifi-calling - I can call with no issue.
But when I'm in my bedroom which is like 1 wall away, it no longer works.
The reason I need the wifi-calling is because I have a bad reception in my bedroom, but the wifi connection is strong there, and I even tested with speed-test and got good download/upload speed in my bedroom.

I've looked at my router configurations and even disabled 5G as walls can cause issues with it, so I'm using 3G now.
Also near the wifi icon I do not see the letters VoLTE (even trough it is enabled in the mobile networks and network mode is LTE/3F/2G auto connect).

In theory I can buy a device which makes the wifi signal stronger, but I don't see that this is a problem as the signal is already strong in my bedroom.

Any ideas?

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yip.
WiFi calling - it's up to your provider to enable WiFi calling preferred. Without that any little bit of signal and you will be using mobile signal to call.
Stand next to your router, enable flight mode, turn on WiFi - does WiFi calling appear and you can make a call? If so, it works but you need WiFi preferred to stop it trying to use a **** poor signal.

You can either call your provider or try the work arounds on XDA .

Volte - do you keep 4G whilst on a normal mobile call? If so volte is working. There is not always a symbol.

MaxBar

Apr 4, 2021
Visit site
Hello and thanks for your replay,
There were issues registering/logging into the forums as if I login via google/facebook without registering with the website first the old way, it will lock your email account and there is no way for you to login as you haven't setup a password first, and you can't just login via google/facebook without connecting it to your account.
Luckily I have a few email addresses so I've managed to do it.

My provider have enabled wifi-calling, but there is an issue with "Airplane mode",
If I enable it and re-enable wifi, and try to call, I'm getting a message: "Turn off Airplane mode to make this call?" and won't let me make the call with Airplane mode enabled.

Volte - I did not understand your question and 4G...

MaxBar

Apr 4, 2021
Visit site
Wifi-calling not working with airplane mode

I have Samsung Galaxy A51,
My mobile carrier enabled wifi-calling upon my request.

To test this, I enable Airplane mode and re-enable wifi, and make sure wifi-calling is enabled.
But when I try to call standing near my router/wifi signal, I get this message:
"turn off airplane mode to make this call"

How can I solve this?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Wifi-calling not working with airplane mode

I have Samsung Galaxy A51,
My mobile carrier enabled wifi-calling upon my request.

To test this, I enable Airplane mode and re-enable wifi, and make sure wifi-calling is enabled.
But when I try to call standing near my router/wifi signal, I get this message:
"turn off airplane mode to make this call"

How can I solve this?
Who's your mobile provider? Do you see a option in WiFi calling for perfered WiFi or mobile data ? Also check in your WiFi setting if have weak WiFi mobile data doesn't kick in .

MaxBar

Apr 4, 2021
Visit site
I have enabled Wifi calling preferred, and my wifi is strong as I sit near the router.
My mobile provider is non-US as I don't live there, but they said to support wifi-calling.

MaxBar

Apr 4, 2021
Visit site
My wifi router is new, got it a few months ago.
I supports both 2.5 and 5G, but I have disabled 5G as walls can interfere with the 5G signal.
And I rebooted the router many times.
Maybe I should enable some feature inside the router?

lion7718

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
My wifi router is new, got it a few months ago.
I supports both 2.5 and 5G, but I have disabled 5G as walls can interfere with the 5G signal.
And I rebooted the router many times.
Maybe I should enable some feature inside the router?
5G is a stronger signal to go through walls but has a shorter distance. It's mostly used for video streaming, turn it back on.

MaxBar

Apr 4, 2021
Visit site
I re-enable wifi after I enable airplane mode.
How can I set my mobile phone to 3G? or 5G? or other? I know I can enable 5G in the router, but don't know how to change it in the mobile. also what do I need it to be?

If you mean the network mode in the A51 mobile, it's set to LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)
There is no 4G or 5G option.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
5G is a stronger signal to go through walls but has a shorter distance. It's mostly used for video streaming, turn it back on.
FYI, 5 GHz does not penetrate walls and other solid objects as well as 2.4 GHz: https://pocketnow.com/5ghz-wifi-802-11ac
Exactly. 5Ghz will have better bandwidth for streaming, and can go farther unhindered. But, obstacle penetration, such as walls and pipes in those walls are a bigger issue than if using the 2.4Ghz band. 5Ghz signal strength is severely cut going through walls.

MaxBar

Apr 4, 2021
Visit site
I still have issue with airplane mode and wifi-calling...
The problem is when I use Airplane made and then re-enable wifi and connect to my wifi router,
Then make sure I have wifi-calling enabled and try to make a call, I get message: "turn off airplane mode to make this call".

Any ideas on how to solve this?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
You should not need to turn on airplane mode when using wifi-calling. The phone will know to use the wifi system.

Are you seeing that the phone is still using the cell system when calling (no wifi traffic indications)?

MaxBar

Apr 4, 2021
Visit site
The airplane mode was just for testing that it indeed doesn't use mobile network.
I can't tell for 100% otherwise if it doesn't use wifi as I have many apps that use wifi, so I will see the wifi indicator activity regardless.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The airplane mode was just for testing that it indeed doesn't use mobile network.
I can't tell for 100% otherwise if it doesn't use wifi as I have many apps that use wifi, so I will see the wifi indicator activity regardless.
Another thing also can your router handle multiple devices at same time ?

MaxBar

Apr 4, 2021
Visit site
My router can handle several devices at the same time, no problem.
Currently it has my PC and TB attached via LAN and my mobile via WiFi.
My mobile is connected to the wifi, the issue is that message I keep getting when on airplane mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana