Bluetooth won’t play media after a phone call. Have to forget and reconnect headphones and earbuds

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I am having Bluetooth issues with both Android phones. When I am using Bluetooth headphones or earbuds and listening to media, if I take a call the media playback will not resume in my Bluetooth devices. I have to forget the device and repair it. Happened with galaxy buds on Samsung and Bose headphones in the Pixel. Thought it was an Android 12 issue but then it happened on the Samsung as well.

Anyone else having similar issues?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Not exactly the same issue but kind of similar. When I play my POD cast app if an ad or almost any audio interruption occurs the playback will often not resume. For me using Google Assistant has all but solved this issue. I'm able to ask Assistant to resume playback and things start back up but come on Kizzy you know how things work around here,

What app are you using? This would really cinch it as being an app issue if it's the same app on both devices...

Have you checked the app settings for pause playback for other system sounds?

Have you cleared the app cache? The data?

Have you tried other apps to see if the result is the same?

What lead you to the whole forgetting and repairing method? Galaxy Buds should work better with a Samsung device so at least in that case I would lean heavily towards it being an app issue before it being a connection issue.

Have you looked at your bud settings in the Smart Things app? I would look at them when this occurs because it should give you a device status and you could check that both Calls and Audio are still enabled.

To reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave replies... I kid, I kid. LOL

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi. Yep tried all the fixes. Happens with google podcasts, talk radio app, Samsung music, YouTube and podcast addict. I use different apps on both phones and happened with them all. Just literally no playback through the buds or Bose at all until I disconnect and re-pair them. Cleared cache, data, forced stop, disconnect and reconnect Bluetooth and the only thing to do is remove and replace the Bluetooth devices. I thought it was cos I was on Android 12 beta cos it happened with the Bose on the pixel first.

Then I used my galaxy buds with my Samsung S10+ and the same thing happened. That is not on beta and was a different set of devices. As I said weird.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow, I wouldn't have expected it to carry across so many apps. In a way that might be good though and the fact that it is happening only to you and on two different devices at the same time means there's something these two devices have in common. The apps that you've named all seem pretty mainstream, nothing odd or unusual and affecting some big hitters... I've notice you mention various launchers in other threads. Are you using the same launcher on both devices? I know some launchers can have different features and options. I might try going stock to test if the issue goes away if you're using the same on both.

Speaking of the same on both, is there any chance that since the Samsung was last to have the issue that you recently added an app to it that is also on the Pixel? Any chance that you made a settings change you've been using on the Pixel on the Samsung? Shared similarities keep popping in my head because the devices are different the buds are different but the issue is the same...? Even the OS is different, which almost screams, this is an app. Besides Smart Things do you have any app that does anything with headphone controls, BT connections? Those would be the most obvious but there's also a chance it's something obscure. I don't know why but Phone permission just popped in my head. The phone is working I know, but there's no Media or Headphone permissions but what if something is seeing your call and locking other audio out? Maybe it thinks you're still on the call and refuses to play any other audio because it isn't recognizing that the call has ended. Actually I saw something like this way back, everything feels like Éclair but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that far back. Essentially a call was taken through wired headphones and ended with the button on the dongle but the device would not register that the call had ended. The next time this happens instead of repairing the ear buds try force stopping the Phone app. If force stopping the phone app releases the audio it is either a Phone permission or the Dialer/Phone app itself.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Oh wow, I wouldn't have expected it to carry across so many apps. In a way that might be good though and the fact that it is happening only to you and on two different devices at the same time means there's something these two devices have in common. The apps that you've named all seem pretty mainstream, nothing odd or unusual and affecting some big hitters... I've notice you mention various launchers in other threads. Are you using the same launcher on both devices? I know some launchers can have different features and options. I might try going stock to test if the issue goes away if you're using the same on both.

Speaking of the same on both, is there any chance that since the Samsung was last to have the issue that you recently added an app to it that is also on the Pixel? Any chance that you made a settings change you've been using on the Pixel on the Samsung? Shared similarities keep popping in my head because the devices are different the buds are different but the issue is the same...? Even the OS is different, which almost screams, this is an app. Besides Smart Things do you have any app that does anything with headphone controls, BT connections? Those would be the most obvious but there's also a chance it's something obscure. I don't know why but Phone permission just popped in my head. The phone is working I know, but there's no Media or Headphone permissions but what if something is seeing your call and locking other audio out? Maybe it thinks you're still on the call and refuses to play any other audio because it isn't recognizing that the call has ended. Actually I saw something like this way back, everything feels like Éclair but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that far back. Essentially a call was taken through wired headphones and ended with the button on the dongle but the device would not register that the call had ended. The next time this happens instead of repairing the ear buds try force stopping the Phone app. If force stopping the phone app releases the audio it is either a Phone permission or the Dialer/Phone app itself.
Great advice thanks yes am using the same launcher. It could be caused by something in that. I have just factory reset my Samsung and set it up as new with a fraction of the apps on it. Trying to see what is draining my battery in the background so much. I haven't tried the earphones since but I will see if it happens again now my phone is a clean slate.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87