why android system charging connected device via USB is showing contuniuosly ?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am facing this problem on my INFINIX NOTE 7 LITE from around 6 hours.

contasjm

Aug 17, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Have you tried safe mode ?

Usb might be under system apps

Thanks! I am trying safe mode now. Initial boot into safe mode did not show the USB connection notification and charging started normally when I plugged. I'll leave it in safe mode for a while to see if the problem shows up again.

Yeah, you forgot to have it show system apps. When you’re in the all apps screen, touch the 3 dots in the upper right and choose show system apps. Then it should be visible.

Thanks! That got me the "Android System" app. When I boot back out of safe mode, I'll try clearing the cache on "Android System" to see if it does anything.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, you forgot to have it show system apps. When you’re in the all apps screen, touch the 3 dots in the upper right and choose show system apps. Then it should be visible.

We try other stuff before factory resets because restoring from a factory reset is a pain. You have to redo any app focused 2fa setups, you have to manually reset all your settings and logins, and if there’s anything you don’t store in the cloud, you have to take the time to manually back up & restore that. It sucks. Why wouldn’t we try easier solutions first?

Honestly from what I'm reading here... most of these attempted solutions don't look any easier than a factory reset at all. In fact they seem to be way more drawn out and complicated with no real fix found. Factory resets are a pain, and I understand why folks want to avoid them, but they usually have a very high success rate, and if that doesn't fix it you know you have a real problem on your hands.... then you can decide whether to pour more time into the phone chasing the problem, live with it, or get another phone ;)

jstewa22

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Contasjm, let us know if clearing the Android System app cache works; I hope it does, it worked fine for me (no problems in four months, vs at least once per day before) and only takes a few seconds. I agree that a factory reset is a big step; as well as I back things up, it generally takes me the better part of a weekend to restore and reconfigure everything. Also, a number of people have reported that a factory reset didn't fix the problem (and I don't think anyone has reported that it did). A lot of people have also reported having various hardware components replaced, at significant cost; sometimes this has worked, sometimes not.

contasjm

Aug 17, 2022
Visit site
Honestly from what I'm reading here... most of these attempted solutions don't look any easier than a factory reset at all. In fact they seem to be way more drawn out and complicated with no real fix found. Factory resets are a pain, and I understand why folks want to avoid them, but they usually have a very high success rate, and if that doesn't fix it you know you have a real problem on your hands.... then you can decide whether to pour more time into the phone chasing the problem, live with it, or get another phone ;)

My phone has had other problems since switching carriers, so I have been planning to do a factory reset. But when I came across this thread knowing that I see this issue, I thought I could try some of the proposed solutions to give more data to help others with the same issue before doing the factory reset.

Contasjm, let us know if clearing the Android System app cache works; I hope it does, it worked fine for me (no problems in four months, vs at least once per day before) and only takes a few seconds. I agree that a factory reset is a big step; as well as I back things up, it generally takes me the better part of a weekend to restore and reconfigure everything. Also, a number of people have reported that a factory reset didn't fix the problem (and I don't think anyone has reported that it did). A lot of people have also reported having various hardware components replaced, at significant cost; sometimes this has worked, sometimes not.

Safe mode did not help. I still had the "charging connected device via USB" item in my notification dropdown, and when I plugged in to USB to charge the second time in Safe Mode, it did not start charging. So, I still see the charging issue in Safe Mode.

I then rebooted and cleared the Android System app cache. That caused the "charging connected device via USB" to sometimes appear or not, so it seemed to have made a difference. However, when I plugged in while the USB item was not present, it did not start charging, and the USB item appeared after I plugged in. So, I still see the charging issue with slightly different behavior after clearing the Android System app cache.

So, I think my next test will be the factory reset if there isn't anything else that I should try first.

I realized that someone had unplugged my charger. :-[

I'll continue testing with the Android System app cache cleared before going to factory reset.

Last edited:

EhsanTaqweem

Aug 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi.
I just fixed it.
I tried cache cleaning, factory reset, port cleaning everything, all in vain.
At the end someone told me it's not that simple cleaning on the port, we need to properly rub the rust out of the contact. So I filled the port with spirit and rubbed the metallic contacts of the port with a needle, well enough to remove the oxidized rust. It's fixed 100%. Such a relief.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi.
I just fixed it.
I tried cache cleaning, factory reset, port cleaning everything, all in vain.
At the end someone told me it's not that simple cleaning on the port, we need to properly rub the rust out of the contact. So I filled the port with spirit and rubbed the metallic contacts of the port with a needle, well enough to remove the oxidized rust. It's fixed 100%. Such a relief.
Glad to hear that

jstewa22

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Ehsan Taqweem, thanks for reporting. I think it's still debatable whether a dirty port is (or can be) the cause of this issue, cleaning the port (with alcohol) never worked for me, but clearing the Android System cache did. This does add to our knowledge, thanks. It would be great if you could report back in a few weeks, one way or the other, about whether or not this was indeed a durable solution. Thanks!

zyel llantino

Aug 24, 2022
Visit site
having the same problem right now...that android system is preventing me to charge my phone the notification of that android system always pops up when im plugging my charger...the system says that im charging but the bar dont have the lightning and it keeps decreasing.

contasjm

Aug 17, 2022
Visit site
Clearing the Android System app cache has not helped with my phone. I cleared it again this week, but each time I plugged in, I had to reboot to get it to start charging. :'(

I am now prepping for a factory reset and will let you know how it goes.

jstewa22

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
contasjm, sorry you didn't have an easier time of it. I'm still a bit skeptical about the effectiveness of cleaning the USB port, but it would be a lot less work than the factory reset, maybe you could try a thorough cleaning with alcohol or some other solvent first? When I tried it (didn't work for me), I used a headlamp and magnifier, plastic probe and isopropyl alcohol. I sure hope the factory reset works for you, there have been at least a couple of reports that it hasn't, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Yes, please keep us posted. Break a leg!

contasjm

Aug 17, 2022
Visit site
Unfortunately, the factory reset did not fix the charging issue. On the bright side, a factory reset wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought. I still had to log into everything again, but Google had backed up all my apps and settings and restored them for me, so it was easier than expected.

The charging behavior is different now, though.

• I don't see the USB device charging notification very much anymore, but when I do, I can sometimes get it to start charging just by selecting that notification and then selecting "This device" to be in control of the USB connection.

• Rebooting no longer helps it start charging.

• But sometimes if I just leave it plugged in, it will eventually start and stop charging a few times and end up charging.

However, I just had one charge attempt where none of those worked, but when I blew into the port a few times, it started charging when I plugged in again. So, I may try a deeper cleaning on the port as jstewa22 suggested.

At least for now it can still charge, but I'm starting to look for a new phone. :'(

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately, the factory reset did not fix the charging issue. On the bright side, a factory reset wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought. I still had to log into everything again, but Google had backed up all my apps and settings and restored them for me, so it was easier than expected.

The charging behavior is different now, though.

• I don't see the USB device charging notification very much anymore, but when I do, I can sometimes get it to start charging just by selecting that notification and then selecting "This device" to be in control of the USB connection.

• Rebooting no longer helps it start charging.

• But sometimes if I just leave it plugged in, it will eventually start and stop charging a few times and end up charging.

However, I just had one charge attempt where none of those worked, but when I blew into the port a few times, it started charging when I plugged in again. So, I may try a deeper cleaning on the port as jstewa22 suggested.

At least for now it can still charge, but I'm starting to look for a new phone. :'(
Get a can of compressed air and try that way

jstewa22

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
contasjm, thanks for posting this. From what I've seen, most people report that a factory reset didn't help, some people report that thorough cleaning of the port helped; I'm still wondering how cleaning the port would help, unless some of the dirt shorts some of the pins. Anyway. I'm still pretty sure that clearing the Android System cache did the job for me, it's been about 5 months. For what it's worth, though, the problem continued to show up intermittently for maybe six weeks or so after the cache clear; I would look and find the notification and get pissed off, but would look again after maybe 10 or 20 or 30 minutes and it would have gone away on its own (maybe like your recent experience?). I haven't seen it at all for at least three months. Hard to figure out what's going on (especially since your problem seems to have resolved with cleaning the USB port).

Thanks again for posting your experience. I still think it sucks that Android hasn't addressed this problem, it seems common.

Rippeyxeno

Sep 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi all. I started experiencing the same issues about two weeks ago (Google pixel 4a 5G). So far I have tried factory reset, cleaning the port and clearing the android cache to no avail. I was able to charge my phone with a restart every night but the last couple of nights that hasn't been working to clear the charging device via usb'. I have managed to charge it by restarting with cable plugged in. My phone is less than 2 years old so I've requested a repair via Google, hopefully it comes under the warranty.

Erno1978

Oct 28, 2022
Visit site
Hi all. I started experiencing the same issues about two weeks ago (Google pixel 4a 5G). So far I have tried factory reset, cleaning the port and clearing the android cache to no avail. I was able to charge my phone with a restart every night but the last couple of nights that hasn't been working to clear the charging device via usb'. I have managed to charge it by restarting with cable plugged in. My phone is less than 2 years old so I've requested a repair via Google, hopefully it comes under the warranty.

Interesting. Same phone here, Google Pixel 4A and experiencing the same problem since a few weeks. My notification of "device being charged" is always there. I have the latest Android (13) + security patch. Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to clear the system cache anymore (is it gone in Android 13?) but I also have the problem where charging also is like 50% chance of working/connecting.

Edit: I re-cleaned the USB-connector port with the sharp edge of a needle. Just kept circling around the pin and in the end I ended up with some pocket lint and the message (charging) disappeared! Hurrah!

Last edited: