How can I restore texts in a Motorola Droid Turbo which didn't get backed up?

MMM717

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago, one of my phones - a Motorola Droid Turbo - suddenly had its old texts, short of two, all disappeared. The Verizon Message+ app was used for texting. Messaging was also installed from the factory, but not used. Oddly, the phone had a pop up after this which asked if I'd like to use Message+ for texting, etc. Most of these messages/texts are very important to me as my Mom had primarily used this phone, and she passed on earlier this year. There are tremendous sentimental reasons for wanting them back.

Between dealing with Verizon tech support, going to Verizon store locations, going to an independent store who sells Verizon, trying out two apps to find any old texts, etc., I've gotten nowhere. The only thing I can find when researching online about restoring something like this is how basically, like computers, nothing is ever truly gone/unrecoverable, and that I may need an Android tech or assistance about Android vs phone service/help.

Can someone possibly assist, whether here or give a recommendation who and where I should contact next. I am in Northeastern New Jersey, if I need to bring the phone to someone in person.

Thanks so much in advance...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi welcome to AC!
If they weren't back up then you wont be able to get them back, double check the Verizon message + app settings maybe something back up there?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
..... The only thing I can find when researching online about restoring something like this is how basically, like computers, nothing is ever truly gone/unrecoverable, and that I may need an Android tech or assistance about Android vs phone service/help.
Well that is a statement that gets repeated a lot, but here in the real world it's actually a very, very conditional matter. Generally, text messages are mostly ephemeral, each carrier retains them only until it gets transferred to the next carrier. Some text messaging services do retain text messages long-term, the same way that email services do by default, but most do not. Google has been pushing it RCS protocol for years now, which among other benefits include better archiving practices, but RCS is still under a lot of development and there's a major stumbling block in that Apple continues to refuse to include RCS support into its iMessage app (and conversely refuses to allow other platforms to incorporate its iMessage protocol into their apps.) So SMS/MMS will remain as the only tenuous text messaging link between Android and Apple devices. But that's drifting off-topic so getting back to your query, Verizon isn't going to be storing text messages long-term so the odds that any of your old text messages will be retained and actually accessible isn't likely. As far as those lost text messages being restorable from your phone's internal storage media, that's going to be a daunting task. The text messaging database file that stores your text messages is only going to be accessible if you root your device, and depending on how old those messages are the odds are very, very slim they will even exist. That database file isn't unlimited in size or capacity, so as new messages get received, old messages get cleared.
If you do take your phone to a service shop to have it looked at, In order to get that text messaging database file, then dig into it to actually retrieve old messages is going to involve some serious funds. This will be a time-consuming task. If you're really, really lucky things will work out and they'll be able to do this quickly and most of those lost messages will be restored. But it's just as likely only some or none of them will be, or they'll be partials. There could be a lot of billable hours required so don't be surprised at a bill with hundreds of dollars, or more.

MMM717

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Thank you both!

I had just found out a little about rooting before posting here, and wondered if that might help.

Is there any person/firm you suggest I bring the phone to, in my area?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you both!

I had just found out a little about rooting before posting here, and wondered if that might help.

Is there any person/firm you suggest I bring the phone to, in my area?
Rooting wil definitely erase data if any chance of getting it back with a company data company as it requires bootloader unlock and that wipes the phone in itself.