I just bought a oneplus nord N200 5g phone.... This phone doesn't provide any option when it comes to encrypting your sd card...is it an update issue? anyone with this problem out there?
    07-29-2021 01:33 AM
    Welcome to Android Central.

I don't know the OnePlus but could it be possible that the device encrypts the card by default? Have you tried putting it onto a card reader to see if it is readable?

I'm finding a lot of answers that say the Nord doesn't have an SD. I went through the manual and it isn't mentioned. I eventually found specs for the model as you described it however that mention an SD but it is weird that's the only way I could find it. My assumption is, either it encrypts by default or doesn't encrypt at all. If encryption is an option you may be able to find it by opening the phone settings and using the search bar to search for "encrypt". If there is an option for it you should get some results.

To reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave comments, please create an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...-new-post.html
    J Dubbs and B. Diddy like this.
    07-29-2021 02:25 AM
    Great advice as usual Vid
    VidJunky likes this.
    07-29-2021 04:49 AM
    I'll be honest - I'm not sure I'd want to encrypt an SD card in a phone. If the phone fails, dies somehow you'll be SOL accessing the card as the key goes away with the loss of the device. If you need to factory reset you need to be conscious of the encrypted card and decrypt it before the reset.
    VidJunky, J Dubbs and B. Diddy like this.
    07-29-2021 05:49 AM
    I'll be honest - I'm not sure I'd want to encrypt an SD card in a phone. If the phone fails, dies somehow you'll be SOL accessing the card as the key goes away with the loss of the device. If you need to factory reset you need to be conscious of the encrypted card and decrypt it before the reset.
    This a great valid point. Barring anything horrible happening encryption paired with a strong back-up policy can mitigate or at least lessen data loss due to catastrophe. When it comes to SD cards in a device, if you put anything even slightly personal on it and the device is lost or stolen that layer of extra might be worth it to some. As with all data, great, small or personal, redundancy is the best policy. Even if one doesn't encrypt. Just to avoid the loss.
    J Dubbs and B. Diddy like this.
    07-29-2021 06:56 AM
    When it comes to SD cards in a device, if you put anything even slightly personal on it and the device is lost or stolen that layer of extra might be worth it to some..
    Excellent point. I should revise my thoughts and suggest that encrypting an SD card isn't a horrible idea but be sure to back up that data.
    VidJunky and B. Diddy like this.
    07-29-2021 07:32 AM