Why is my phone using so much wifi data?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi everyone, I can't seem to find any info on this issue I've been having recently so I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I was checking my wifi network usage over the past month, something I check every week or so, and noticed that I was a good amount over my average 30 day usage. I figured out it's my every day phone (Moto G Stylus, about 2 years old) that has caused the uptick in wifi usage.

I dug a little deeper and looked at wifi usage for any apps I use regularly and they all show the same average usage over the past 30 days compared to months before, so there's no indication of what app would be causing this huge rise in wifi usage. At this point, I'm stumped, because I was away from home this past weekend (most of 6/17 - most of 6/19), and my Google Home app that I use to track wifi usage by device shows that my phone used nearly 7gb of wifi data on 6/18. It also shows 14gb of wifi data used on 6/20 when I know for a fact I didn't use my phone for much that day since I was working for most of the time.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? What could be causing these huge spikes in wifi usage? Why would my Google Home app be showing that my phone accessed my home wifi network when I was 220 miles away on 6/18?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
If you open up your Settings menu, find and open the 'Wi-Fi data usage' menu. That should open up a window showing your phone's entire WiFi usage, listing all installed apps usage, not just Google's Home app.
Just to confirm, are you sure the Home app is actually able to keep track of all your phone's WiFi data usage? That seems odd, the Home app is Google's solution to managing things like a Chromecast and various IoT devices, it's just a media device manager not a comprehensive, overall Android OS data manager.
I'm going to assume that 7GB was due to some kind of download of something like a high res video you had previously chosen or something like that. This would differentiate the issue on whether it's the actual Home app itself using that amount of data or just what the Home app managed as is monitors whatever IoT device(s) you may have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87