11-10-2022 12:18 PM
28 12
tools
    This is a new unlocked phone I recently got from eBay for my wife. We have PagePlus Cellular service (a Verizon MVNO). This phone is a replacement for her old S7. I swapped the SIM card into the new phone and everything seemed to work. But it soon became apparent that the phone can't send or receive pix or other media via text.

I searched online and found some tips (reboot the phone, reseat the SIM card, clear the cache, etc, all to no avail). Eventually I checked the Access Point Names. The S9 didn't have any entries. I have an S8, so I tried manually copying my APN info to her phone, but it didn't work. Then I tried resetting the network settings. At this point, the phone lost all mobile network connections, and after trying every option I could find (both online and from customer service) to get it to connect, I had to factory reset the phone.

After the factory reset, I tried MMS again before I ran Smart Switch. Even without any additional apps on the phones, MMS still doesn't work. It doesn't work in Safe Mode either.

I also tried swapping SIM cards with my S8. My phone works properly with either SIM card, but the S9 doesn't get MMS with either SIM.

Right now the phone can send and receive calls and texts (SMS), but the original text media (MMS) problem remains. Can any1 offer some insight?
    06-27-2022 09:55 AM
    Hi welcome to AC!
    You using Samsung default message app?
    06-27-2022 10:19 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Did you make sure the phone is fully compatible with PagePlus? https://www.pagepluscellular.com/byop-eligibility/
    06-27-2022 10:45 AM
    Yes, I'm using the default messaging app, and yes, the IMEI is fully compatible with PagePlus.
    06-27-2022 11:52 AM
    Try google message app , want see what happens
    06-27-2022 11:55 AM
    It's odd that there would be no APNs listed. Are you able to manually create a new one (rather than trying to copy one over)?
    06-27-2022 01:32 PM
    Try google message app , want see what happens
    I installed the Google Message app and it's doing the same thing -- when trying to send a pic, it just says "Sending..." for a long time before it finally says that it failed. When receiving a pic, it just shows an image icon w/ a circle going around it, but it never actually downloads the image.
    06-27-2022 02:27 PM
    It's odd that there would be no APNs listed. Are you able to manually create a new one (rather than trying to copy one over)?
    Yes, I manually typed in the APN from my S8, entry by entry. But it didn't seem to make any difference.

The only issue I had w/ this process is that my APN type is listed as "default,dun,supl". What I discovered was that the S9 would not allow me to save any APN type that included "dun". So I entered "default,supl" instead. I looked up dun and found that it's obsolete (it stands for dial-up networking) so that shouldn't be the problem.

I should also note that I came across some information online that about changing 1 of the settings to "Generic" and changing the MMSC entry, but none of that worked either.
    06-27-2022 02:34 PM
    I installed the Google Message app and it's doing the same thing -- when trying to send a pic, it just says "Sending..." for a long time before it finally says that it failed. When receiving a pic, it just shows an image icon w/ a circle going around it, but it never actually downloads the image.
    Ok thanks for verifying, does Page Cellular have a store you can visit in person? Im sure its just needs a reconfigure possible with APN
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-27-2022 02:45 PM
    Make sure your not using any app cleaners, virus protection, VPN also ,
    06-27-2022 02:45 PM
    Ok thanks for verifying, does Page Cellular have a store you can visit in person? Im sure its just needs a reconfigure possible with APN
    No, unfortunately they don't have any brick and mortar stores.

Make sure your not using any app cleaners, virus protection, VPN also ,
    No, none of that is installed. The problem exists even after doing a factory reset.
    06-27-2022 02:59 PM
    No, unfortunately they don't have any brick and mortar stores.

No, none of that is installed. The problem exists even after doing a factory reset.
    I would try possible Verizon store maybe get a tech over there to look at it real quick just to see if everything with APN is ok , Samsung has issues over the years I've seen with subside carrier and run into this problem often otherwise you going have to research many APN and give it try see what works and doesn't. I would first start under APN settings erase all that are there and choose default it should repopulate a APN from reading your sim then reboot make sure that default APN is highlighted and double check again
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-27-2022 03:03 PM
    I would try possible Verizon store maybe get a tech over there to look at it real quick just to see if everything with APN is ok , Samsung has issues over the years I've seen with subside carrier and run into this problem often otherwise you going have to research many APN and give it try see what works and doesn't. I would first start under APN settings erase all that are there and choose default it should repopulate a APN from reading your sim then reboot make sure that default APN is highlighted and double check again
    I searched online for APN settings and found an interesting piece of information. APN affects mobile data as well as MMS. I turned off the wifi on the S9 so I would be able to tell if it had mobile data as I was testing APN settings. I found 5 different APN's to test. In each case, I deleted any previous APN, entered the new APN as closely as possible (more on this later), rebooted the phone, and waited until it found a cell signal.

I found that 2 of the APNs (1 of which was from my phone) allowed for mobile data but DID NOT allow for MMS. So hopefully that means that the settings are close and just need to be tweaked to get MMS to work.

As I alluded to, I was not always able to enter the APN settings exactly. The phone would not allow me to save any settings that included "dun" under APN Type. However, dun = dial-up networking and is supposed to be obsolete anyway. So I used default,supl instead. If I entered 310 for MCC or 12 for MNC, the entire APN listing would disappear as soon as I tried to save it in the phone. And there was no option to leave APN Protocol or APN Roaming Protocol blank. So I used the settings from my phone for those particular items.

Here are the APNs I tried and the results:

Due to anti-spam settings on this forum, I can't post the MMSC setting for some of these APNs becuz it's a link. So I just replaced it w/ "XX"

**Works for internet but not MMS, note that dun cannot be entered
    Copied from my phone
    APN Name Tracfone - Verizon
    APN TRACFONE.VZWENTP
    Proxy
    Port
    Username
    Password
    Server
    MMSC
    MMS Proxy
    MMS Port
    MCC 311
    MNC 480
    Authentication Type
    APN Type default,dun,supl
    APN Protocol IPv4/IPv6
    APN Roaming Protocol IPv4/IPv6
    Bearer
    MVNO Type GID
    MVNO Type BA01270000000000

**Doesn’t work for internet or MMS
    Page Plus APN Settings
    APN Name Page Plus
    APN vzwinternet
    Proxy Not defined
    Port Not defined
    Username Not defined
    Password Not defined
    Server Not defined
    MMSC XX
    MMS Proxy Not defined
    MMS Port 80
    MCC 311
    MNC 480
    Authentication Type Not defined
    APN Type default,mms,supl (or) internet + mms
    APN Protocol IPv4 / IPv6
    APN Roaming Protocol IPv4 / IPv6
    Bearer Unspecified
    MVNO Type Not defined
    MVNO Type Not defined

Suggested APN Settings Main
    APN Name Page Plus
    APN TRACFONE.VZWENTP
    Proxy
    Port
    Username
    Password
    Server
    MMSC
    MMS Proxy
    MMS Port
    MCC 311
    MNC 480
    Authentication Type Not Set
    APN Protocol IPv4/IPv6
    Bearer Unspecified
    MVNO Type
    MVNO Type

Suggested APN Settings Settings
    APN Name Verizon
    APN vzwinternet
    Proxy
    Port
    Username
    Password
    Server
    MMSC XX
    MMS Proxy
    MMS Port 80
    MCC 310
    MNC 12
    Authentication Type
    APN Type internet+mms
    APN Protocol
    APN Roaming Protocol
    Bearer
    MVNO Type
    MVNO Type
    **If MCC is entered as 310, OR if MNC is 12, the entire APN is deleted when I try to save it. Furthermore, there is no choice to leave APN Protocol or APN Roaming Protocol as blank.

**Didn't try this because I know I can't set MCC as 310
    Suggested APN Settings Settings 2
    APN Name Verizon
    APN tracfone.vzwentp
    Proxy
    Port
    Username
    Password
    Server
    MMSC XX
    MMS Proxy
    MMS Port 80
    MCC 310
    MNC 012
    Authentication Type
    APN Type internet+mms
    APN Protocol
    APN Roaming Protocol
    Bearer
    MVNO Type
    MVNO Type
    06-29-2022 12:21 PM
    I searched online for APN settings and found an interesting piece of information. APN affects mobile data as well as MMS. I turned off the wifi on the S9 so I would be able to tell if it had mobile data as I was testing APN settings. I found 5 different APN's to test. In each case, I deleted any previous APN, entered the new APN as closely as possible (more on this later), rebooted the phone, and waited until it found a cell signal.

I found that 2 of the APNs (1 of which was from my phone) allowed for mobile data but DID NOT allow for MMS. So hopefully that means that the settings are close and just need to be tweaked to get MMS to work.

As I alluded to, I was not always able to enter the APN settings exactly. The phone would not allow me to save any settings that included "dun" under APN Type. However, dun = dial-up networking and is supposed to be obsolete anyway. So I used default,supl instead. If I entered 310 for MCC or 12 for MNC, the entire APN listing would disappear as soon as I tried to save it in the phone. And there was no option to leave APN Protocol or APN Roaming Protocol blank. So I used the settings from my phone for those particular items.

Here are the APNs I tried and the results:

Due to anti-spam settings on this forum, I can't post the MMSC setting for some of these APNs becuz it's a link. So I just replaced it w/ "XX"

Copied from my phone
    APN Name Tracfone - Verizon
    APN TRACFONE.VZWENTP
    Proxy
    Port
    Username
    Password
    Server
    MMSC
    MMS Proxy
    MMS Port
    MCC 311
    MNC 480
    Authentication Type
    APN Protocol IPv4/IPv6
    Bearer
    MVNO Type GID
    MVNO Type BA01270000000000

Page Plus APN Settings
    APN Name Page Plus
    APN vzwinternet
    Proxy Not defined
    Port Not defined
    Username Not defined
    Password Not defined
    Server Not defined
    MMSC XX
    MMS Proxy Not defined
    MMS Port 80
    MCC 311
    MNC 480
    Authentication Type Not defined
    APN Type default,mms,supl (or) internet + mms
    APN Protocol IPv4 / IPv6
    APN Roaming Protocol IPv4 / IPv6
    Bearer Unspecified
    MVNO Type Not defined
    MVNO Type Not defined

Suggested APN Settings Main
    APN Name Page Plus
    APN TRACFONE.VZWENTP
    Proxy
    Port
    Username
    Password
    Server
    MMSC
    MMS Proxy
    MMS Port
    MCC 311
    MNC 480
    Authentication Type Not Set
    APN Protocol IPv4/IPv6
    Bearer Unspecified
    MVNO Type
    MVNO Type

Suggested APN Settings Settings
    APN Name Verizon
    APN vzwinternet
    Proxy
    Port
    Username
    Password
    Server
    MMSC XX
    MMS Proxy
    MMS Port 80
    MCC 310
    MNC 12
    Authentication Type
    APN Type internet+mms
    APN Protocol
    APN Roaming Protocol
    Bearer
    MVNO Type
    MVNO Type
    **If MCC is entered as 310, OR if MNC is 12, the entire APN is deleted when I try to save it. Furthermore, there is no choice to leave APN Protocol or APN Roaming Protocol as blank.

**Didn't try this because I know I can't set MCC as 310
    Suggested APN Settings Settings 2
    APN Name Verizon
    APN tracfone.vzwentp
    Proxy
    Port
    Username
    Password
    Server
    MMSC XX
    MMS Proxy
    MMS Port 80
    MCC 310
    MNC 012
    Authentication Type
    APN Type internet+mms
    APN Protocol
    APN Roaming Protocol
    Bearer
    MVNO Type
    MVNO Type
    Yeah the site blocks until it gets reviewed.
    Great hopefully you get the right APN and get this going I know its a little work to do but seems like your getting closer
    06-29-2022 12:24 PM
    As I mentioned in my other thread, my wife has an S9. I couldn't get MMS to work no matter what I tried. So finally I changed carriers from PagePlus (Verizon MVNO) to RedPocket (ATT MVNO).

Now MMS works, but voice calls don't. VoLTE is required to make voice calls on ATT, so that setting must be enabled in Settings\Connections\Mobile Networks. The setting doesn't even appear. But I remembered seeing it before. After some testing, I discovered that the VoLTE setting is present and turned on when the PagePlus SIM is installed, but it disappears when the RedPocket SIM is installed.

Once again, the carrier's tech support advice is limited to reboot and reset. As if I haven't already tried that...

When trying to make a call, it starts the dialing process and then immediately says "call ended" as soon as u try to connect. When trying to call this phone, it immediately goes to voicemail.

Any advice?
    10-04-2022 01:17 PM
    10-04-2022 02:01 PM
    Yes. I was having some trouble with the site and couldn't log on for some reason
    10-06-2022 12:46 PM
    Threads merged
    10-06-2022 01:08 PM
    Any help here? I've spent a lot of time on the phone w/ customer service, and still no fix
    10-25-2022 01:07 PM
    I had to call Verizon to get my issue fixed with an unlocked device.

The rep was able to solve my issue right on the phone all 3 times. Once for each unlocked device that gave me this trouble.

Just saying...
    10-25-2022 02:16 PM
    It may ultimately have to do with AT&T. Carriers can be pretty picky about which phones they allow to use their VoLTE network. As they phased out their 3G networks (and therefore required phones to use VoLTE), there were a bunch of threads here about people being unable to use certain phones on their network, even though they were working on VoLTE on other networks. The best AT&T could do was to offer their customers a free phone replacement that did support VoLTE (although, as you can imagine, that phone was usually not very fancy).

Sorry, I wish I had more of a solution for you.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-25-2022 06:13 PM
    As I mentioned in my other thread, my wife has an S9. I couldn't get MMS to work no matter what I tried. So finally I changed carriers from PagePlus (Verizon MVNO) to RedPocket (ATT MVNO).

Now MMS works, but voice calls don't. VoLTE is required to make voice calls on ATT, so that setting must be enabled in Settings\Connections\Mobile Networks. The setting doesn't even appear. But I remembered seeing it before. After some testing, I discovered that the VoLTE setting is present and turned on when the PagePlus SIM is installed, but it disappears when the RedPocket SIM is installed.

Once again, the carrier's tech support advice is limited to reboot and reset. As if I haven't already tried that...

When trying to make a call, it starts the dialing process and then immediately says "call ended" as soon as u try to connect. When trying to call this phone, it immediately goes to voicemail.

Any advice?
    Those MVNO been problematic on Samsung through the years , Verizon , TMobile,Att sim dont a issue once their sims installed, its going to take time and playing with settings, APN to get it going .
    Might be better off buying prepaid plan from one of them

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-25-2022 11:02 PM
    Those MVNO been problematic on Samsung through the years , Verizon , TMobile,Att sim dont a issue once their sims installed, its going to take time and playing with settings, APN to get it going .
    Might be better off buying prepaid plan from one of them

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app
    That or I would just get a pixel and be done with it I would never have the patience to go through all that
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-25-2022 11:29 PM
    So I tried buying an S10 directly from Red Pocket. U would think their phone would work on their network, right? Nope. After going thru all the trouble-shooting steps again on the S10, they finally sent me a new SIM card, under the theory that the original SIM was old and didn't have the correct programming to provision VoLTE. That didn't work either.

I cannot be the only person having this problem -- Galaxy's are very popular phones. I've asked their tech support to put this issue thru to their network/software engineering teams. I've made it clear that until VoLTE is provisioned on the phone, no amount of reboots, resets, or fiddling w/ the APN settings is going to correct the problem.

As for buying a new phone or changing carriers, I've already done that. If I change phones or carriers again and the problem remains, I have to start all over w/ the troubleshooting. Yeah, I could try a phone other than a Galaxy, but that's another couple hundred bucks, and who knows if it will work or if we will like the phone.

At this point, I'm just about ready to switch back to PagePlus. The reception sucks and the phone still doesn't have MMS, but at least it will have voice service. Which reminds me -- the main original reason I switched to Red Pocket was becuz the phone didn't have MMS w/ PagePlus and they couldn't fix it. After I switched, MMS worked but voice didn't. At some point, after installing a bunch of updates to try to fix the voice issue, MMS once again stopped working. So right now she only has SMS and data
    11-09-2022 09:39 AM
    Sorry to hear you're still struggling with this. I know what a pain not being able to text can be. Just curious as I was reading through the comments I didn't see anyone ask if there is a splash screen when you boot up for a carrier. I know you're with PagePlus but does the phone have a splash screen for Verizon, AT&T, TMo or anyone? I ask because I've also seen similar issues with a device that was still "locked" to a foreign carrier.

It used to be that the carrier would flash their software to devices. Anymore though I think the user can flash their carrier's firmware with Odin. @mustang7757 knows more about that than I. I'm not sure a carrier like PagePlus has locked devices or their own firmware so maybe there's a generic firmware that would either make the device appear as factory unlocked and just remove whichever carrier's firmware or what because I would be willing to bet that it isn't the device.

Howard forums is hosting a Page Plus forum page, perhaps you can converse with other PagePlus users here for more insight and a different perspective. https://www.howardforums.com/forumdi...-Plus-Cellular

It looks like PagePlus' official forum is hosted on Facebook. I'm not a user so I am not able to tell you much beyond that. This looks like a link to that forum but I'm not sure. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...O2g4hTXfSfjhKo
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-09-2022 02:49 PM
28 12