New S9 can send/receive texts (SMS) but not text pix (MMS)

syc0path

Jun 27, 2022
Visit site
This is a new unlocked phone I recently got from eBay for my wife. We have PagePlus Cellular service (a Verizon MVNO). This phone is a replacement for her old S7. I swapped the SIM card into the new phone and everything seemed to work. But it soon became apparent that the phone can't send or receive pix or other media via text.

I searched online and found some tips (reboot the phone, reseat the SIM card, clear the cache, etc, all to no avail). Eventually I checked the Access Point Names. The S9 didn't have any entries. I have an S8, so I tried manually copying my APN info to her phone, but it didn't work. Then I tried resetting the network settings. At this point, the phone lost all mobile network connections, and after trying every option I could find (both online and from customer service) to get it to connect, I had to factory reset the phone.

After the factory reset, I tried MMS again before I ran Smart Switch. Even without any additional apps on the phones, MMS still doesn't work. It doesn't work in Safe Mode either.

I also tried swapping SIM cards with my S8. My phone works properly with either SIM card, but the S9 doesn't get MMS with either SIM.

Right now the phone can send and receive calls and texts (SMS), but the original text media (MMS) problem remains. Can any1 offer some insight?

syc0path

Jun 27, 2022
Visit site
Try google message app , want see what happens
I installed the Google Message app and it's doing the same thing -- when trying to send a pic, it just says "Sending..." for a long time before it finally says that it failed. When receiving a pic, it just shows an image icon w/ a circle going around it, but it never actually downloads the image.

syc0path

Jun 27, 2022
Visit site
It's odd that there would be no APNs listed. Are you able to manually create a new one (rather than trying to copy one over)?
Yes, I manually typed in the APN from my S8, entry by entry. But it didn't seem to make any difference.

The only issue I had w/ this process is that my APN type is listed as "default,dun,supl". What I discovered was that the S9 would not allow me to save any APN type that included "dun". So I entered "default,supl" instead. I looked up dun and found that it's obsolete (it stands for dial-up networking) so that shouldn't be the problem.

I should also note that I came across some information online that about changing 1 of the settings to "Generic" and changing the MMSC entry, but none of that worked either.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I installed the Google Message app and it's doing the same thing -- when trying to send a pic, it just says "Sending..." for a long time before it finally says that it failed. When receiving a pic, it just shows an image icon w/ a circle going around it, but it never actually downloads the image.
Ok thanks for verifying, does Page Cellular have a store you can visit in person? Im sure its just needs a reconfigure possible with APN

syc0path

Jun 27, 2022
Visit site
Ok thanks for verifying, does Page Cellular have a store you can visit in person? Im sure its just needs a reconfigure possible with APN
No, unfortunately they don't have any brick and mortar stores.

Make sure your not using any app cleaners, virus protection, VPN also ,
No, none of that is installed. The problem exists even after doing a factory reset.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, unfortunately they don't have any brick and mortar stores.

No, none of that is installed. The problem exists even after doing a factory reset.
I would try possible Verizon store maybe get a tech over there to look at it real quick just to see if everything with APN is ok , Samsung has issues over the years I've seen with subside carrier and run into this problem often otherwise you going have to research many APN and give it try see what works and doesn't. I would first start under APN settings erase all that are there and choose default it should repopulate a APN from reading your sim then reboot make sure that default APN is highlighted and double check again

syc0path

Jun 27, 2022
Visit site
I would try possible Verizon store maybe get a tech over there to look at it real quick just to see if everything with APN is ok , Samsung has issues over the years I've seen with subside carrier and run into this problem often otherwise you going have to research many APN and give it try see what works and doesn't. I would first start under APN settings erase all that are there and choose default it should repopulate a APN from reading your sim then reboot make sure that default APN is highlighted and double check again
I searched online for APN settings and found an interesting piece of information. APN affects mobile data as well as MMS. I turned off the wifi on the S9 so I would be able to tell if it had mobile data as I was testing APN settings. I found 5 different APN's to test. In each case, I deleted any previous APN, entered the new APN as closely as possible (more on this later), rebooted the phone, and waited until it found a cell signal.

I found that 2 of the APNs (1 of which was from my phone) allowed for mobile data but DID NOT allow for MMS. So hopefully that means that the settings are close and just need to be tweaked to get MMS to work.

As I alluded to, I was not always able to enter the APN settings exactly. The phone would not allow me to save any settings that included "dun" under APN Type. However, dun = dial-up networking and is supposed to be obsolete anyway. So I used default,supl instead. If I entered 310 for MCC or 12 for MNC, the entire APN listing would disappear as soon as I tried to save it in the phone. And there was no option to leave APN Protocol or APN Roaming Protocol blank. So I used the settings from my phone for those particular items.

Here are the APNs I tried and the results:

Due to anti-spam settings on this forum, I can't post the MMSC setting for some of these APNs becuz it's a link. So I just replaced it w/ "XX"

**Works for internet but not MMS, note that dun cannot be entered
Copied from my phone
APN Name Tracfone - Verizon
APN TRACFONE.VZWENTP
Proxy
Port
Username
Password
Server
MMSC
MMS Proxy
MMS Port
MCC 311
MNC 480
Authentication Type
APN Type default,dun,supl
APN Protocol IPv4/IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol IPv4/IPv6
Bearer
MVNO Type GID
MVNO Type BA01270000000000

**Doesn’t work for internet or MMS
Page Plus APN Settings
APN Name Page Plus
APN vzwinternet
Proxy Not defined
Port Not defined
Username Not defined
Password Not defined
Server Not defined
MMSC XX
MMS Proxy Not defined
MMS Port 80
MCC 311
MNC 480
Authentication Type Not defined
APN Type default,mms,supl (or) internet + mms
APN Protocol IPv4 / IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol IPv4 / IPv6
Bearer Unspecified
MVNO Type Not defined
MVNO Type Not defined

Suggested APN Settings Main
APN Name Page Plus
APN TRACFONE.VZWENTP
Proxy
Port
Username
Password
Server
MMSC
MMS Proxy
MMS Port
MCC 311
MNC 480
Authentication Type Not Set
APN Protocol IPv4/IPv6
Bearer Unspecified
MVNO Type
MVNO Type

Suggested APN Settings Settings
APN Name Verizon
APN vzwinternet
Proxy
Port
Username
Password
Server
MMSC XX
MMS Proxy
MMS Port 80
MCC 310
MNC 12
Authentication Type
APN Type internet+mms
APN Protocol
APN Roaming Protocol
Bearer
MVNO Type
MVNO Type
**If MCC is entered as 310, OR if MNC is 12, the entire APN is deleted when I try to save it. Furthermore, there is no choice to leave APN Protocol or APN Roaming Protocol as blank.

**Didn't try this because I know I can't set MCC as 310
Suggested APN Settings Settings 2
APN Name Verizon
APN tracfone.vzwentp
Proxy
Port
Username
Password
Server
MMSC XX
MMS Proxy
MMS Port 80
MCC 310
MNC 012
Authentication Type
APN Type internet+mms
APN Protocol
APN Roaming Protocol
Bearer
MVNO Type
MVNO Type

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I searched online for APN settings and found an interesting piece of information. APN affects mobile data as well as MMS. I turned off the wifi on the S9 so I would be able to tell if it had mobile data as I was testing APN settings. I found 5 different APN's to test. In each case, I deleted any previous APN, entered the new APN as closely as possible (more on this later), rebooted the phone, and waited until it found a cell signal.

I found that 2 of the APNs (1 of which was from my phone) allowed for mobile data but DID NOT allow for MMS. So hopefully that means that the settings are close and just need to be tweaked to get MMS to work.

As I alluded to, I was not always able to enter the APN settings exactly. The phone would not allow me to save any settings that included "dun" under APN Type. However, dun = dial-up networking and is supposed to be obsolete anyway. So I used default,supl instead. If I entered 310 for MCC or 12 for MNC, the entire APN listing would disappear as soon as I tried to save it in the phone. And there was no option to leave APN Protocol or APN Roaming Protocol blank. So I used the settings from my phone for those particular items.

Here are the APNs I tried and the results:

Due to anti-spam settings on this forum, I can't post the MMSC setting for some of these APNs becuz it's a link. So I just replaced it w/ "XX"

Copied from my phone
APN Name Tracfone - Verizon
APN TRACFONE.VZWENTP
Proxy
Port
Username
Password
Server
MMSC
MMS Proxy
MMS Port
MCC 311
MNC 480
Authentication Type
APN Protocol IPv4/IPv6
Bearer
MVNO Type GID
MVNO Type BA01270000000000

Page Plus APN Settings
APN Name Page Plus
APN vzwinternet
Proxy Not defined
Port Not defined
Username Not defined
Password Not defined
Server Not defined
MMSC XX
MMS Proxy Not defined
MMS Port 80
MCC 311
MNC 480
Authentication Type Not defined
APN Type default,mms,supl (or) internet + mms
APN Protocol IPv4 / IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol IPv4 / IPv6
Bearer Unspecified
MVNO Type Not defined
MVNO Type Not defined

Suggested APN Settings Main
APN Name Page Plus
APN TRACFONE.VZWENTP
Proxy
Port
Username
Password
Server
MMSC
MMS Proxy
MMS Port
MCC 311
MNC 480
Authentication Type Not Set
APN Protocol IPv4/IPv6
Bearer Unspecified
MVNO Type
MVNO Type

Suggested APN Settings Settings
APN Name Verizon
APN vzwinternet
Proxy
Port
Username
Password
Server
MMSC XX
MMS Proxy
MMS Port 80
MCC 310
MNC 12
Authentication Type
APN Type internet+mms
APN Protocol
APN Roaming Protocol
Bearer
MVNO Type
MVNO Type
**If MCC is entered as 310, OR if MNC is 12, the entire APN is deleted when I try to save it. Furthermore, there is no choice to leave APN Protocol or APN Roaming Protocol as blank.

**Didn't try this because I know I can't set MCC as 310
Suggested APN Settings Settings 2
APN Name Verizon
APN tracfone.vzwentp
Proxy
Port
Username
Password
Server
MMSC XX
MMS Proxy
MMS Port 80
MCC 310
MNC 012
Authentication Type
APN Type internet+mms
APN Protocol
APN Roaming Protocol
Bearer
MVNO Type
MVNO Type

Yeah the site blocks until it gets reviewed.
Great hopefully you get the right APN and get this going I know its a little work to do but seems like your getting closer

syc0path

Jun 27, 2022
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S9 can't make/receive calls, possible VoLTE issue

As I mentioned in my other thread, my wife has an S9. I couldn't get MMS to work no matter what I tried. So finally I changed carriers from PagePlus (Verizon MVNO) to RedPocket (ATT MVNO).

Now MMS works, but voice calls don't. VoLTE is required to make voice calls on ATT, so that setting must be enabled in Settings\Connections\Mobile Networks. The setting doesn't even appear. But I remembered seeing it before. After some testing, I discovered that the VoLTE setting is present and turned on when the PagePlus SIM is installed, but it disappears when the RedPocket SIM is installed.

Once again, the carrier's tech support advice is limited to reboot and reset. As if I haven't already tried that...

When trying to make a call, it starts the dialing process and then immediately says "call ended" as soon as u try to connect. When trying to call this phone, it immediately goes to voicemail.

Any advice?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I had to call Verizon to get my issue fixed with an unlocked device.

The rep was able to solve my issue right on the phone all 3 times. Once for each unlocked device that gave me this trouble.

Just saying...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc