Media Volume Setting increases randomly

amstrauch

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I have an HTC Evo 4g LTE and recently the media volume setting on my phone randomly increases for no reason.
It usually happens when I'm playing a game most of the time, but other times it just increases.

I've tried restoring it, silencing it, everything. Took it to radioshack but they wanted to send it in and try and fix it.
Is there something I can do that will fix this problem? It only happens with the media volume settings.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Could you be accidentally hitting the volume button when you're playing? Perhaps the volume button has become very sensitive--see what happens if you touch the volume up button lightly when you have some media playing.

amstrauch

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I only press the volume button to turn it down in games when it randomly increases...otherwise, I'm not pressing the volume button. Right now it's on low volume, but will increase without me even doing anything on my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if something you installed is doing this, but it can be hard to pinpoint. Booting into Safe Mode probably wouldn't help, because that would also prevent you from playing those games. You might have to consider a factory data reset, and prevent the phone from reinstalling all of its apps. If the volume is still causing problems, there's probably some hardware issue. If the problem goes away, then install your apps one by one, and see if you can figure out which one triggers the problem.

amstrauch

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I've actually tried the factory data reset... The apps I have downloaded are connected to my google account, so I install them after everything restarts.
How would i prevent the apps from being reinstalled?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try going to Settings>Backup & Reset and uncheck Automatically Restore. I'm not sure, but I think that will prevent it from reinstalling apps.

amstrauch

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
It looks like it was one of the apps I had installed causing the volume to increase.
I've had the volume on low since yesterday and it only went up when I reinstalled the app---I uninstalled it and it hasn't gone up since.