Broken, Or am I Just Dumb?

A

AC Question

Last week I switched from an iphone to a Samsung Galaxy S5. I loved it at first, but have since found some potential problems. There are times when I press on the home button to turn my screen on and my screen will stay black. Music will continue to play on the phone, but I can't get the screen to budge. Once I take my battery out and but it back in it returns to normal, but it is a pain in the *** and I don't want to have to do this for 2 years until I can get a new phone!

Another problem (maybe?) is that sometimes the screen appears to have a yellowish tint, which wouldn't bother me much, but it makes my screen so light that I have trouble seeing some things. I have read that the Galaxy S5 has an auto-adjusting screen, but is this normal? If it is the case of an auto-adjusting screen is there a way to turn it off?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The home button should wake the device. However, with the scenario you describe, does the power button wake it too, or no?

Is the yellow tint in one section of the screen or do you mean yo notice it when you compare a white screen on your phone to the same screen on another device?

achance12

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
No, the power button doesn't wake it either. I have to take the battery out and then it will work. As for the yellow tint on the phone, it covers all of the screen. Any time the tint comes on it is completely noticable because of how light it makes my screen, if that makes sense.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No, the power button doesn't wake it either. I have to take the battery out and then it will work. As for the yellow tint on the phone, it covers all of the screen. Any time the tint comes on it is completely noticable because of how light it makes my screen, if that makes sense.

Forgot this: Welcome to the forums!

The yellow tint might be because of the nature of the screen. I had a couple Samsungs that showed whites as a blueish tint, and my Moto X is a yellowish. Without seeing the screen, I would consider what you are describing as normal.

Now, the power/waking issue: Have you tried clearing the cache in recovery? You probably got an update, and there is a conflict in the cached data that might be causing this issue.

I think this will work for the S5: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html
Follow instructions for the S3.

achance12

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I have a question because I'm really bad at most technology, so forgive me: what does clearing the cache in recovery do? If I do this will it totally reset my phone, or will it just fix my problem, hopefully?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a question because I'm really bad at most technology, so forgive me: what does clearing the cache in recovery do? If I do this will it totally reset my phone, or will it just fix my problem, hopefully?

I am honestly hoping for a fix. It won't delete any data.

The cached data is for the apps, and clearing in recovery will clear system apps as well.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App