Galaxy S3 rooting/performance pros and cons

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Since I'm not longer under contract and my GS3 still performs about the same as it did when I got it over 2 years ago, I'm thinking that I might be able to increase the snappiness by finding a way to remove the bloat ware. Do I understand correctly that the only way to do this is to root the phone? And is my logic correct in that removing all the AT&T and Samsung apps would improve the performance? I've never rooted a phone and I'm completely dependent upon this device since it's my only form of communication.

And yes, I know I could invest in an unlocked phone without all the bloat ware, but since the GS3 was a game changer and I'm not seeing anything that rocks my world no less something that I don't have to invest over $500 in, it would make sense that I should keep the GS3 until I actually NEED to replace it.

So what are the pros and cons of rooting and is it probable that a noob might end up with a brick if he doesn't do it correctly?

Thanks.

4ringsa6

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Root using towel root. Com

No way you can brick using that site. You can hover brick your device if you tamper with sensitive internal Info..

If you just want to remove the apps, just go into settings> apps> all and individually select them and disable the ones you don't need. This won't delete the app, but won't make the apps use ram and will delete them the app drawer.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Sounds like disabling might be the way to go rather than risk problems rooting. Would you say that those that root their phones are the type that want ground up control of the device including ROMS, apps, etc rather than someone like me that just wants better performance? I've been happy with the phone from the beginning and still am. Beyond the screen not being great in bright sun, I don't see any big advances in newer devices; I'd just like it to be snappier.

Re: Disabling apps. Is there somewhere I can go to find a list of the ATT and Samsung apps that are safe to disable and won't hurt the phone?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't go too far overboard on disabling. I would just get rid of the stuff you know should hurt it (the OS can't possibly need the Associated Press widget for example...)

4ringsa6

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
You can just about disable all att apps. There is a safety feature where it won't allow you to disable important apps. You can disable Google Apps like Google +, music, games, samsung junk...

People usually root phones to install stock like rooms which can increase performance. I rooted my 1st Android phone for a Sim unlock procedure. Lol I rooted my old nexus because the black nav bars didn't appeal to me.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.. Interesting how some say to be careful with how many to disable. I've done about 5-6 and seen no substantial improvement yet. Not sure about rooting though since this is my only device and if I screw it up I'm SOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy