Yahoo mail app hogging data.

blackwaterstout

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
So I started using my data manager to analyze what apps use the most data. In a 4-day stretch the yahoo app sucked down 180Mb with normal usage. At the same time the gmail app used 2mb. I use both apps daily and during that period I did not send or receive any large unusual emails. Mainly just receive subscription emails.

The yahoo app seems way excessive. Anyone else ever notice unusually high data usage through that app?

Are there any good all inclusive email clients worth looking at? I use the stock email client for my works exchange email and I hate it. Looking for something better.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried going into the Yahoo Mail app's settings and looking for the data refresh or sync interval? I seem to recall that you can set it to manual, which means it won't refresh in the background--only when you manually refresh within the app. That ought to prevent it from using up a lot of background data.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Really? That shouldn't happen. Open Yahoo Mail, then swipe in from the left and tap the Settings option. See if you can find refresh or sync interval settings there.

taandroid

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I uninstalled the yahoo app, it has tabs other than mail which I don't care about... and that hogs data.

There are 2 good options
1. go to yahoo mail url directly in your browser... it redirects to the mobile version of the mail site.... It works almost as well as the native app
2. you can use the gmail app to add the yahoo email account.... and check yahoo mail from the gmail app...

Knebster

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I put the yahoo mail on the gmail app. From time to time, when I open the app it reloads all the emails... it's useing so much data. It seams like the phone doesn't save the messages which i downloaded...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38