Looking for a new Android phone

StepW

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey! Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to ask about this kind of thing.

Basically I might be looking into buying a new Android phone. I'm currently on a Samsung Galaxy S4 which has served me well for around a year and a half, but I'm starting to get a little annoyed by its lacklustre battery life, TouchWiz, and the general wear and tear that inevitably starts to show after a while. I'm looking for a new Android phone and these are the top things I want out of it:

* Large screen (ideally phablet size) - Smallest I'd go is around 5 inches, but I do like large screens.
* Fairly powerful specs - I don't need the cream of the crop as I won't be playing intensive games on it but what I'm mainly looking for is a smooth user experience with little to no lag when using applications.
* Great battery life - This is a MUST. I need it to last me a full day of heavy usage. I use my phone a lot for communicating, watching videos, doing work-related stuff, etc... so I need a powerhouse of a battery. It needs to last me a full day, and currently my S4 barely lasts me half a day (Bluetooth may be a contributor to battery drain as I have a smartwatch).

I don't mind having bad camera quality and bad call quality, but those are the three main things I'm looking for. Other pluses include it being waterproof, having expandable storage/removable battery/both, the ability to have two apps sharing screen space, and of course not being too expensive.

I've looked into the Sony Xperia Z Ultra, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and HTC One Max. It seems like the Note 4 is my best option from what I've seen but it's very expensive and I'm not a huge fan of Samsung phones... I'm still undecided though. Maybe there's a phone I'm missing, as I haven't looked into it enough yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Note 4 for battery life. Specs are top notch and camera is one of the best for android.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420158085138.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1420158085138.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 21

StepW

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! What's stopping me from buying the Note 4 is the price and the TouchWiz UI mainly. I guess the latter isn't too big a problem, as I can root it or at the very least install a custom launcher, but the price is still pretty hefty, being around €600 - €700.

Are there any other phones similar to the Note 4 that are cheaper? I don't mind somewhat worse specs and a worse camera, but the screen size and battery life are perfect.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! What's stopping me from buying the Note 4 is the price and the TouchWiz UI mainly. I guess the latter isn't too big a problem, as I can root it or at the very least install a custom launcher, but the price is still pretty hefty, being around €600 - €700.

Are there any other phones similar to the Note 4 that are cheaper? I don't mind somewhat worse specs and a worse camera, but the screen size and battery life are perfect.
The Huawei ascend mate 2 is €250,and gets excellent battery life. It uses a snapdragon 400, which is what I have in my moto g, not bad, though obviously not as fast as my note 4. If you are looking for even cheaper, the meizu m1 is €130.not sure about battery life but it is a mediatek octacore 64 bit. I would still prefer the note 4, but I understand that price is a concern.

If you can go down to 4.7", the Moto X 2013 32gb developer edition was €130, and performs great.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87