How can I enable mass storage on my Android 4.2.2?

A

AC Question

how can i enable mass storage in my android 4.2.2?

i am hoping my question to be answered because i have a file i wan to transfer from my computer to my tablet and the only way is to enable mass storage

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: how can i enable mass storage in my android 4.2.2?

Welcome to Android Central! What tablet do you have? The USB mass storage option was abandoned a while ago, when most manufacturers changed how they partitioned internal storage. Internal storage used to be partitioned into at least 2 areas--one for app installation and one for additional "internal SD" storage. In that configuration, you could mount the device as USB mass storage, because the "internal SD" would be mounted as an external hard drive, while the app partition wouldn't be disturbed (and the phone would therefore still be able to function while mounted). But this severely limited the amount of storage available to install apps, so around the time ICS came out, storage became unified. This meant there was much more room available to install apps, but it also meant you couldn't mount the storage as a USB drive, because then you'd render the phone inoperable while connected. That's why they use the MTP protocol, which only makes certain folders available to the computer.

You should still be able to transfer a file via MTP. Does it not let you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty