Why does my battery saver turn itself off automatically (was good in KitKat)?

A

AC Question

Battery Saver turns off automatically (was good in kitkat)

Battery Saver in android kitkat version enabled me to turn it on forever and was not autmatically turned off when I charge. This way I know my battery would last longer as I rarely use my phone for data.
In lollipop, it turns off whenever I charge.
How can I make the battery saver run forever? There are times when you just want to have your battery last long as you know you are short on battery (say 30%) and you know you won't have the charger for the next 8 hours. Instead of having to wait till the battery drains till 15% and then have the battery saver enabled, don't you want the battery saver to be running from 30%, so it would last longer?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery Saver turns off automatically (was good in kitkat)

First, you don't want to drain the battery to 15%, or even 30%. 40% is about as low as you should let it go for longest battery life. (15% regularly is killing it.)

Second, if you don't use the phone for data, turn mobile data off. (Use Data Enabler Widget if you don't want to dig into settings to change it every time.) You don't need an app using battery to turn your data connection on and off.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Second, if you don't use the phone for data, turn mobile data off. (Use Data Enabler Widget if you don't want to dig into settings to change it every time.) You don't need an app using battery to turn your data connection on and off.

This kind of apps/widgets doesn't work anymore after Lollipop. It's my biggest complain after the update. The toggle just send you to the data usage settings, where you have to switch mobile on/off. :(

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

To the OP. I'm afraid that's the way the battery saver works with Lollipop. You can set it manually whenever you want, but it will be switched off the moment you start charging your phone. There's no much need for a battery saver when charging, isn't it?.

Although, you can switch it automatically on when the Battery level is 15%, for example.

venkinni

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

Hi Javier,
The problem is battery saver does not switch back on automatically after the charge. I will have to set it to batttery saver on manually after everytime I charge. Waste of a feature and quite dumb I reckon, don't you think? The same phone on kitkat allowed me to set battery saver on once and for all, and was never turned off. I liked it very much.

venkinni

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

Hi Stargate,
I have the latest Moto G dual sim. After it is unplugged, the battery saver remains inactive, and that is my main problem.

venkinni

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

Hi Rukbat,
I never said I don't use my phone for data, I said I rarely use my phone for data. What I mean is that I am not interested in each and every notification that pops up. The issue for me is kitkat allowed be to turn battery saver once and for all and I did not have to bother about turning mobile data on and off. After upgrade to lollipop, it resets to off everytime I charge my phone and I have to go and turn it back on again.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I know that, and I said before I'm afraid that's the way Lollipop works. I personally think that keeping the battery saver on all the time is not a good idea. But this doesn't matter.

There's an easy way to simplify the process to toggle that feature. Long press on a blank spot in your screen, tap on shortcuts, select Settings and then battery saver. Done. Just two clicks to switch it on an off.

venkinni

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Javier. That does simplify the process. It appears that's the reality with lollipop and your workaround is the best option. Thanks for your help.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

We'll see if there's something new in the next updates. By the way, I've got the same phone, dual G, so if you need an extra help just ask.

Welcome to the forums.