How can I delete the listing in the downloads folder of a non existent file?

A

AC Question

Nexus 5 deleting Downloads

I have a Nexus 5 running Lollipop. In my Downloads folder I have some files I wish to delete but there seems to be no such facility. Two files are zip which cannot be opened and others are not wanted PDFs. I therefore USB connected to a PC, accessed the Downloads folder internally and deleted the contents. However, when I then accessed the folder on the Nexus all the same files were still shown as present except, understandably, none could be opened.

So, how can I delete the listing in the downloads folder of non existent files?

BTW, I have downloaded the ES File Explorer but it appears to do no more than using a PC via USB. It does not help here.

Terry

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 deleting Downloads

Welcome to Android Central! Are you looking at the Downloads folder using the Downloads app, or using a file manager app to look directly in the /storage/sdcard0/Download/ directory?

If you use the file manager to look in the directory, do any files show up? If no files show up in the directory, but they still show up in the Downloads app, then go to Settings>Apps>All, select Downloads, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open the Downloads app again--is it clear?

The Downloads app is an odd duck. It accesses the /storage/sdcard0/Download/ directory, but only shows files that were downloaded using the Download Manager. Certain apps download files without the help of the Download Manager, and those files don't show up in the Downloads app, but do show up if you look in the actual directory using a file manager. Never understood why they do that.:-\

Betwixt

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

Thank you. for the prompt response. The Settings>Apps only showed the application icons excluding the Downloads but I found it in Settings>Storage and your instruction did the trick.

A follow up question, if you please! I want to put into the Nexus some PDF books to read at leisure. I have had no problem loading some music but have been foiled with PDF books. Using the USB-PC connection, where would I deposit them and how then access them?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You should be able to put them anywhere. But to keep things organized, just create a directory called "eBooks" or something like that, and copy the PDF file there. Then on the phone, use any PDF reader to access the files in that eBooks directory.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang