Android app contains .DDV and .DDX files. How to open them?

A

AC Question

So, this app stores all it's data in .DDV and .DDX files. As I am creating a Wikipedia for this app, I sort of think I need to access the content (wich I am hoping is images and databases).

Can anyone please help me? I don't get this at all :/

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
DDV Files are video files that use a propietary codec. To open those, you'd need an app or computer program that supports such codec (just like you do with MP4s or AVIs). DDX files, on the other hand, are indexing files (Device Data Exchange) and are not media ones.

Why do you need access to those files if you're writing a Wiki page? In any case, for such a thing, I'd suggest you contact the developer of the app.

Harald Ove

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Hey, and thanks for answer. You are the first one in 2 days and countless sites that has replied.

Actually, I am guessing that images for a whole game is to big to cache everytime you play or to download every time you enter a game. So I am guessing the .DDV somehow contain images, like as of the Heroes and Items in the game. I need access to the items and the hero pictures, and ingame there is always something in front of the images, so I can't get a clear picture.

I have googled it a lot, but I can find no sort of codec for .DDV. Can you point me in the right direction ?

Also, not a bad idea contacting the developer. I am on it.

Thanks again for your answer :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Usually DDVs are not video game assets (like Characters or Buildings or Creatures), and those are, in turn, not just plain image files, they're code that is rendered in real time by the game's engine. DDV files are usually just videos for Intros, dialog animations, scene transitions, etc.

As for the codec, all I could find were references to a tool called "Masher", meant precisely for game development, and that allows you to convert DDV files into AVI and viceversa.

Harald Ove

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again for your answer. I feared as much, but figured I would at least get some animations. So, I have been in contact with the developers, but haven't gotten an answer. Do you know of a way to extract the images as they where before they got fancy colored borders and text and stuff?

Also, masher.exe is a ancient tool and does not really work opening .DDV files anymore from what I have been reading.

And, once again, Thanks a million for your time. Really means a lot to me :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear masher doesn't work anymore. Sadly, I don't know of any ways to open game assets (not being a dev myself), and not even sure it's an easy task. I would imagine these assets to be encrypted or something to avoid anyone else from stealing your code once it's compiled.

Serious devs usually have character and game renders ready for PR and press inquiries, so maybe they already have something they can share with you.

Harald Ove

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I see. I feared as much. Anywyas, I really appreciate your time! It saved me for a ton of work. :)

I will continue to pursue the images I need directly form the creator of the app then :)

Can't say thanks enough though :) Thanks given

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty