Getting into tech blogging for a career?

Jas_AFK

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I want to get into the business of reporting news, rumors and reviews. What college classes do you suggest I take? What should I major in?

Posted via the Android Central App

AndroidProf

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I want to get into the business of reporting news, rumors and reviews. What college classes do you suggest I take? What should I major in?

I think the choice you make depends on the kind of blog you are planning on creating. It could be about mobile hardware, firmware or apps. If you plan on understanding them all, I think computer science and a programming class could get you some credibility and understanding within this niche.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You'd need dual majors - electronics and journalism. (You don't need to know programming to report on electronic devices or apps. No one reading the blog will want to know the code in the app [and reverse-engineering it to find out how it was programmed is illegal, anyway].) If you want to stick to one major, take journalism. "Engineers can't write" may not always be true, but the best blogs are written by people who know how to write, not people who ramble on about the intricacies of a device.

Oh - unless you go on to anchor a major news show, don't expect to get rich. Expect to usually have something to eat. Reporters can get into places "mere mortals" can't, but they don't get paid that much. (The average reporter probably makes about the same as the average artist, and if you don't know what "starving in a garret" means, learn.)