Question Heatsink for Charging Devices ?

Jimmy Recard

Aug 22, 2021
Visit site
Hello

Tangentially related to my other thread about slow charging devices...

I have always wondered about getting some kind of Ribbed Heatsink tray to put phones/tablets etc on when charging (to dissipate some excess heat to protect the battery). You know, kind of like the big hunk of metal on your GPU?

Something like this...

In a perfect world, it would be made to have a soft surface level, so that it won't mark/damage the phone/tablet when you put it down/pick it up, also non-slip to prevent it from accidentally slipping/getting knocked off?

But that might be a tall order.
Could you just put a layer of non-slip rubber/latex (with the holes in it), or same thing but solid - over a heatsink or would that totally mess it up?

Using a peltier (powered device) idea is fun, but probably a little too finicky/risky for me. Same with an enclosed cold box. I just want to keep it low tech and unpowered. Unless you've got a really simple, powered idea that has zero risk.

I think something like a big ribbed aluminum heatsink or something similar might be good?
What do you think? What types of things, and any specific items, would you recommend?

I suppose it could be something vastly different, not for purpose originally...
Maybe a brick of ballistics gel?

If you actually made the ballistics gel yourself, you could actually mold your phone to fit exactly and suck up some more heat?

After all, the problem is, that most phones already have a damn phone case trapping a lot of heat, so maybe a flat solid surface like ballistics gel might work well?

I'd prefer something affordable and something that's not too difficult to get my hands on, where I won't need to spend ages making it (unless it's really fun).

See my other thread to see what items I need to cool when charging.

Whoa your Horses... I want Slow Charging, here's my idea...

Thank you for your help