06-07-2017 03:44 PM
28 12
tools Reply
    How do I only allow a system update when on wifi
    03-09-2015 03:29 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! When you're ready to update, you could just turn off mobile data and stay on wi-fi, then accept the download and installation.
    smvim likes this.
    03-09-2015 06:48 PM
    M on lg g3 32gb..sprint netwrk automatically dlods huge chunks lg g3 system updates wifi mobile data for system update..can it be restricted to wifi...help
    03-10-2015 09:45 PM
    Are you the original poster?

Go to Settings>About Phone>System Updates. Is there an option to Automatically Check for Updates? If so, turn it off. Then you can turn off mobile data when you're ready to check for updates, and just use wi-fi.
    03-11-2015 12:45 AM
    Really? That's your solution? To manually turn off mobile data whenever a system update forces itself? No, unacceptable. He asked how to set it to never download system updates on mobile data. There has to be a setting somewhere. My phone just used 1 gig of my mobile data to download the latest update, not cool. It was connected to wifi when I accepted and it sat on the desk the entire time.
    08-28-2016 12:47 PM
    There's no way to permanently tell Android to only download updates via wifi - it always has to be done manually. (The immediate answer to "there has to be a way to ..." is "why?" - there doesn't have to be any way to do anything.)
    anon(632115) likes this.
    08-28-2016 12:54 PM
    This just happened to me. I am furious. My month's data was sucked up by the android update that downloaded while my phone was connected to my wifi. Ridiculous! I have apps set to download on wifi only. Default should be wifi! Not limited cell data. Turn off cell data is the best answer?!? Great! Now cell data will be off for a month. What ***** thought that was a good idea?!?
    09-14-2016 09:35 PM
    I noticed that my Nexus 5X was downloading Nougat over 4G last night. No way to turn it off (other than turning off all data) and no way to cancel or pause the download.

So that was over half of my monthly data allowance gone in a couple of hours. Thanks for that Google :-/
    09-16-2016 01:35 AM
    Same thing happened to me yesterday. Entire month of data used while I was asleep. No help from Google Fi as of yet.
    09-18-2016 03:05 PM
    Same thing just happened to me. One gig for phone updates. Was never given an option for WiFi even though the wifi was connected the whole time.

The provider should see this and exempt us from being charged.
    09-20-2016 11:20 AM
    Anyone have any solution to this. Same thing happened to me today and all my usage gone in a day. three weeks before I can get any more.
    angry face
    09-21-2016 10:06 AM
    Really? That's your solution? To manually turn off mobile data whenever a system update forces itself? No, unacceptable. He asked how to set it to never download system updates on mobile data. There has to be a setting somewhere. My phone just used 1 gig of my mobile data to download the latest update, not cool. It was connected to wifi when I accepted and it sat on the desk the entire time.
    Yes, that's my solution. System updates aren't automatically initiated--you still have to accept them. I don't see it as a hardship to turn off mobile data in this situation. You could also just make sure wi-fi is on while mobile data is on, and assume that the phone will automatically favor wi-fi for the download, but if you want to be sure mobile data isn't being used, turn it off.
    pkcable, anon(632115) and smvim like this.
    09-21-2016 12:06 PM
    If you have an issue with how Android works you could post it here....

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list
    B. Diddy and anon(632115) like this.
    09-21-2016 01:55 PM
    It never asked me if I want to download, although it seemed it did. I never confirmed, and the next thing I knew my mobile data plan was gone. What the hell?
    10-07-2016 10:13 AM
    Notification of the availability of the Lollipop system upgrade sat obediently in the notification bar awaiting my consent for many weeks on a Nexus 4. I deferred for that long because I wished to continue with Kitkat for a while. Only when I was ready did I download and install.
    The problems described above must be related to basic user settings.
    10-07-2016 12:12 PM
    Maybe you guys are accidentally accepting the updates? Make SURE you read notifications before you click ok! Instead of clicking ok, click on X to close the notification!
    10-11-2016 01:25 PM
    No. This has happened to me more than once. I click "remind me later" and after a few times clicking that it just starts installing. This time was the second time in less than two weeks! I absolutely did not allow it and I was already over my data because of the last install (when I was on WiFi) now I'm not on WiFi and it installed. This is stupid!
    11-20-2016 01:43 AM
    My S7 downloads the update, then lets me choose when I want to install it. It's constantly putting me over my data limit.
    12-19-2016 05:17 PM
    Just got off phone with Google support on this issue.

I have a Nexus 6p with 7.1.1

Apparently this is no longer in the System Updates setting bu is done through the Play Store App on your phone by selecting:

Settings > Auto-Update apps > Do not auto-update apps

The rep swore up and down that it would apply to System updates as well, but I'm not sure I believe him. Hopefully I'm wrong as this is killing my cellular data usage.

Anyway, hope that helps someone.
    01-17-2017 03:27 PM
    I am an android newbie with an LG Stylo 2 Plus with OS 06.01.01. This is happening to me as well. Is there any updated info that anyone might have? It's killing me as well! Every other darn app is set to update on wifi only. Google Play store is as well, but didn't work that way it seems. Thanks for any help!
    03-26-2017 07:18 PM
    You may need to turn off the auto update, we when you need to update, turn it on when is connecting wifi.
    03-26-2017 08:55 PM
    If
    If your mobile device was connected to WiFi network when you initiated the upgrade and it then bounced back to mobile data it you sounds more like there's a problem with your WiFi. Check your router setup, check its coverage, and confirm your broadband connection (cable or DSL) is active. While it is more practical to do what B. Diddy suggested (simply disable mobile data), since you're obviously not willing to do even that then you do need to make sure your WiFi is actually usable.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-26-2017 10:01 PM
    There's no way to permanently tell Android to only download updates via wifi - it always has to be done manually. (The immediate answer to "there has to be a way to ..." is "why?" - there doesn't have to be any way to do anything.)
    That's a complete cop-out. When scmooot says 'there has to be a setting somewhere', I think (s)he is coming from the same place as me in expressing disbelief that someone has made the idiotic decision to not allow real-world users to determine whether or not they want to use their data allowance to be gobbled up on system updates.

My phone burned through my entire month's 500GB allowance in just 4 minutes today, without so much as a by-your-leave. For Android to presume everyone is on an all-you-can-eat data tariff proves the supreme arrogance of ivory-tower decisionmakers, and I'm OK to be angry about that on my own and others' behalves (edited by moderator)
    05-09-2017 01:25 PM
    That's a complete cop-out. When scmooot says 'there has to be a setting somewhere', I think (s)he is coming from the same place as me in expressing disbelief that someone has made the idiotic decision to not allow real-world users to determine whether or not they want to use their data allowance to be gobbled up on system updates.

My phone burned through my entire month's 500GB allowance in just 4 minutes today, without so much as a by-your-leave. For Android to presume everyone is on an all-you-can-eat data tariff proves the supreme arrogance of ivory-tower decisionmakers, and I'm OK to be angry about that on my own and others' behalves (edited by moderator)
    500GB data plan? That's pretty insane. To use 500GB in 4 minutes would mean 15x Google fiber gigabit speeds.

smvim likes this.
    05-13-2017 05:00 PM
    My phone burned through my entire month's 500GB allowance in just 4 minutes today, ...
    Wow, that's 125GB per minute or 2.1GB per second, which works out to be roughly a 17,000Mbps cellular connection. Even if on less-than-optimal days the bandwidth is only one-third of that, I wanna move there.
    05-13-2017 07:30 PM
28 12