How to change the default Google account a contact add to?

lflee

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
(I think I should have posted here a few hours before, but when I now come back, I can't see that post anymore. So, I post now again. Sorry if it's a duplicate.)

(And I just saw that I need 10 post to post link. I don't have any link in this post. I will try to omit the Google account examples (email address) to see if it works..)

Hi Forum,

I use a Nexus 4. I had 2 personal accounts and a work account set up. At Settings > Accounts > Google, I can see those three accounts sorted alphabetically. Now, I receive a Contact file from WhatsApp. I view it, and there is an "Add to contacts" button at the bottom. I press it, and it says "<contact name> has been added to your contacts" (no option to choose which Google account to add to). Then I find that the contact is added to alphabetically first account.

How can I default the contacts to be added to an alphabetically second or else account?
Is it a WhatsApp issue or an Android issue?
Any discussion or direction is appreciated.

Thanks guys! :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you running 3 Google accounts because you want to download apps using different credentials? Or because you want 3 email addresses in one phone?

If the latter, delete the Google accounts you have just for email and add them as email accounts, not Google accounts. (The two are totally different.) Then he remaining Google account is the one your contacts will go to.

If the former, delete all your Google accounts, thn add the main one, the one you want contacts to go to, first. Then add the others. (I think - it may be the other way around, add the main one last. Once you've added 2, you'll see whether the new one goes to the top or the bottom. If I'm remembering the order in which I added my accounts correctly, the first one stays on top, and is the one contacts go to.)

lflee

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rukbat,

So, I interpret your answer as, a contact is added to the first added (or the last added) Google account.

Oh yeah, good suggestion, I will try that out!

My use case is, I am a heavy Google products user. If I have added all my accounts, I can switch between my accounts in apps like Gmail, Drive, G+, etc. And if other apps need Google Auth, they would call up those accounts that is really handy for me.

Again, thanks for replying. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty