How do I update my android version if my phone is from AT&T but has a T-Mobile Sim card in it?

Kyle Hamson

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
I have the HTC M8 unlocked from att. When I check for updates it tells me there are none(The 5.0 update is already out for both att and tmobile). I am currently running 4.4.4. How would I go about getting the latest android version available for my phone?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: How do I update my android version if my phone is from AT&T but has a T-Mobile Sim card in it?

The "Safe" way - wait for the update to get pushed to your phone. No risks involved, but patience is key

The "not so safe" way - root your phone and install a ROM for your M8 based on Lollipop. Risks? It's possible you may brick your phone, lose data, experience glitches and unstability, and so forth. BUT at least you don't have to wait for the update.

Rooting isn't for everyone - there are certainly advantages, but also some very real risks to be aware of. Do your research before rooting - for some it's worth it, for me personally (using an LG G3) I don't think it's worth it.

avoidtheecho

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: How do I update my android version if my phone is from AT&T but has a T-Mobile Sim card in it?

Check the T-Mobile site to see when it'll be available for the m8

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

TMobile isn't going to update the phone, because they don't update the AT&T version. AT&T isn't going to update it because you don't have an account with them.

You're going to have to find an update file (the XDA Forums M8 forums would be your best bet) and install it yourself. You don't have to root the phone, and it's actually safer - over the air updates can fail from loss of signal, interference, noise, anything that can corrupt a radio signal.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member