Why my HTC One m8 won't update? [test device]

A

AC Question

My phone was stolen and my insurance company sent me a new one.
From the first moment, when installing it I couldn't remove the option "Tell HTC" and there was a message saying that I couldn't because this is a "test device".

Nothing else seems to be wrong with the phone apart from the fact that it doesn't find any updates. The phone is not rooted. In the boot menu there is a message ***Locked***.

I contacted HTC and they told me that I should send the phone back to the insurance company but I can't afford not having a phone for two more weeks.

Does anyone have an idea of what I could do? Rooting it wouldn't be my first option (I think) - I really like the HTC sense and android lollipop (I know it is a bit sad but I kinda love updates).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's pretty bad on the insurance company's part. I would call up the insurance company and tell them that they sent you an inappropriate replacement phone. I would insist to them that they send you a fully functional replacement, but that you be allowed to keep the current phone in the meantime so that you can at least make calls. Once you get the replacement phone, then you can send this test unit back. In the past, when I had to deal with insurance replacements, that's how it worked anyway.

davross81

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi

Any news on this. I'm facing the exact same issues.
I have HTC one m8. Bought 2nd hand, only to find its a test device.
Did you resolve the issue yourself or get a new device from the insurance company?
Thanks
Dave

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19