Connecting s6 to tv, or xbox 360 via usb. Does not connect

A

AC Question

I have put some films on my s6 edge. They work on the device etc, i connect to my tv using usb and dont connect. I also connect it to an xbox 360 and it connects for music but it does not see the device in the video player. Can any 1 help. I have no internet to connect using wifi just standard usb from s6 to act as a usb device as standard?

Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The S6 doesn't support MHL, so you can't output to HDMI via cable. If you had a Samsung Smart TV, you could mirror the screen, but you can't do it natively with incompatible TVs.

bubbbbbz

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The S6 doesn't support MHL, so you can't output to HDMI via cable. If you had a Samsung Smart TV, you could mirror the screen, but you can't do it natively with incompatible TVs.

Thanks for the reply,

I am not trying to use a hmi lead. I am trying to use a usb lead to a usb port and should be able to play music. Photos and video. But it does not pick it up on my tv or my xbox 360. But it picks up a usb stick

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I see--you're trying to use the Smart TV to read the video files as if it's a USB drive, is that right? In my experience, that doesn't work with a phone, because the phone doesn't act like a USB drive. It uses MTP protocol, which isn't the same.

bubbbbbz

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Hello sorry i now what you mean now by not supporting mhl. Is mhl a hardware thing. Will there be a hack you think? This is a big thing missing for me. One of reasons why i got the s6. Not a thing you check to see of ot has as its been standard on previous phones

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may have worked with your S2 because older phones were actually able to connect as a "USB Mass Storage" device. This was due in part to how the Internal Storage was partitioned--it may seem like a loss of function in new phones, but the old way of partitioning Internal Storage led to less space available for actual app installation--see this for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

It's puzzling to me why Samsung didn't include MHL support in the S6 and S6 Edge. I believe it's hardware dependent, so a firmware update or custom ROM won't help.

Yadvi Galaxy

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Current android mobile have phone memory and memory card in phone. Now the smart TV have not been made too smart to read both memory. But if you have your old android phone which have only memory card not present memory means phone memory then you can connect your phone like USB drive with TV. I have personal experience.