How do I delete Photos on my Nexus 5 but keep them on Google Photos?

tdellaringa

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
How to delete Photos on Nexus 5 but keep them on Google Photos

This is the most maddening feature about a phone I otherwise love. I know there are other threads about this here, but NONE of them solve my problem - and I think things may have changed with the recent Google Photos changes.

At some point, my Nexus 5 pulled DOWN all the photos I had on Google to my phone (which I never wanted, BTW). This is taking up way too much space.

Most suggestions here say go to Photos > Device Folders - and delete local copies. But all the photos that have been pulled down from Google Photos (or G+ - hard to tell the difference) ARE NOT IN DEVICE FOLDERS. They are not accessible there. Even though they are all visible in the Photos app.

If I go ahead and delete one of those photos, it gets deleted on Google Photos - which I DON'T want. I want to *keep* the photos online with Google, I want to remove the photos on my phone - photos that are not in any "device folder."

You would think there is a setting somewhere that would allow me to do a deletion only on the device, but I am coming up empty. Some have suggested installing a File Manager app. I have tried that, but you can't see the photos you are deleting, so it's useless. Also, there are thousands of photos. Removing them one at a time is fricking impossible.

There MUST be a solution for this. I can't even download software updates until I get this solved. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non