I'm transferring from T-Mobile to Straight Talk. how do i keep all the apps/contacts/same number?

A

AC Question

I have a Galaxy Note 3 and am changing to Straight Talk. For business purposes, I need to keep the same number, all the apps, contacts and photo's. What is the step by step procedure for this amateur phone user?

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Make sure your contacts are in Google contacts, not on your SIM card. Photos should be backed up to a cloud service,like Google Photos. Call T Mobile to make sure they have "unlocked" your phone, meaning you are free to use another company's network (your phone has to be fully paid for and belong to you; otherwise they keep it locked). Then all you have to do is buy a SIM card from Straight Talk, and make sure they have the phone number. Then you pop the T Mobile SiM card out of the phone and replace it with the Straight talk SIM card. Your apps, photos, etc should not be affected, provided they were somewhere other than the SIM card.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
As KCAndrold1 said, especially what he said about saving contacts to your Google account and doing backups. I would add just a couple of cautions:

First, you will be porting your phone number over to Straight Talk from T-Mobile, so while you're talking to T-Mobile to make sure your phone is unlocked, make sure T-Mobile is aware that you need to port your number. Then check that Straight Talk has it together on the number so there is no delay or confusion.

Second, make sure Straight Talk doesn't try to put in a SIM for a network you phone is not fully compatible with.