Google Play Services is taking up 22.19GB of my internal storage on my Nexus 6

A

AC Question

I have run out of space on my phone and am having to constantly transfer pictures off my phone, and delete texts as they come to clear up space. My phone has a max storage of 25.98GB and Google Play Services is taking up that much of it to where I can't install any apps. I have 15 downloaded apps (the biggest one being Facebook taking up 341MB) and none are games. Does anyone know how to fix this without having to delete Google Play Services, because I read it may be bad if I delete it?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I will share with you guys my experience with my 46 GB google services space taking of my phone storage...
Appreciate your insight on what happened with your device. I use AA (though not nearly as much recently since I'm not driving much) and don't see ANYTHING in that folder on my Pixel 2 XL.

Also - the poster having the initial issue hasn't been here in almost 5 years. Android Auto has certainly changed since the initial posting and was likely not the culprit, on top of the poster with the issue not seeing this and probably no longer having the same device.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I will share with you guys my experience with my 46 GB google services space taking of my phone storage... ( Automatic "Android Auto" screen recording issue!! for Android Auto users )

a few days ago I noticed that my space storage was filling up in an unusual way by google services app it takes about 46 GB my phone storage !! and as you know you can't remove this app...
I tried many third-party apps to clean up my storage hopefully cleaning this mess and nothing worked I even tried to uninstall app updates but nothing happened at all.
so I browse my internal storage files and sort it by size to see which folder take much space, so I went through inside "Android" folder and I go to "Data" and I copied all the files to an external storage device and browsed it in my PC, I did that because system files can't be sorted in files manager app.

Finally I found an app data folder named by "com.google.android.gms" take about 40 GB!! its belong to the Android Auto app and its counted as one of google services apps, in this folder I found a something weird, I found all my trips history recorded while I am driving and Android auto app is running (Its like automatically screen recording of Android auto UI with no sound and for no reason).

So the only solution that works for me is: just go to your file manager app > Android > Data then look for "com.google.android.gms" and check if it takes much space or not and simply just delete it ^_^!!

View attachment 320770

View attachment 320771

View attachment 320772

View attachment 320773

View attachment 320774

Thanks all I hope it helps someone :)

Note:
Samsung Galaxy S10 128GB - Android version: (Andriod 10)

Welcome as a new member and thank you for such a detailed and helpful post. If you wish, I can move it to General Help & How To, where it is more likely to be noticed.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I will share with you guys my experience with my 46 GB google services space taking of my phone storage... ( Automatic "Android Auto" screen recording issue!! for Android Auto users )

a few days ago I noticed that my space storage was filling up in an unusual way by google services app it takes about 46 GB my phone storage !! and as you know you can't remove this app...
I tried many third-party apps to clean up my storage hopefully cleaning this mess and nothing worked I even tried to uninstall app updates but nothing happened at all.
so I browse my internal storage files and sort it by size to see which folder take much space, so I went through inside "Android" folder and I go to "Data" and I copied all the files to an external storage device and browsed it in my PC, I did that because system files can't be sorted in files manager app.

Finally I found an app data folder named by "com.google.android.gms" take about 40 GB!! its belong to the Android Auto app and its counted as one of google services apps, in this folder I found a something weird, I found all my trips history recorded while I am driving and Android auto app is running (Its like automatically screen recording of Android auto UI with no sound and for no reason).

So the only solution that works for me is: just go to your file manager app > Android > Data then look for "com.google.android.gms" and check if it takes much space or not and simply just delete it ^_^!!

View attachment 320770

View attachment 320771

View attachment 320772

View attachment 320773

View attachment 320774

Note:
Hi qwerty and Welcome to the forums. Your insight is very helpful and i am sure you will help someone else with a similar issue.

We appreciate having people who share their experiences on this forum. Please feel free to wander the rest of the forum threads and i look forward to seeing more of you around.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 320770

View attachment 320771

View attachment 320772

View attachment 320773

View attachment 320774

Note:
Welcome to the forums. Thank you for your detailed explanation, it will be very helpful for other users with a similar issue.

qwerty76

May 22, 2020
Visit site
Welcome as a new member and thank you for such a detailed and helpful post. If you wish, I can move it to General Help & How To, where it is more likely to be noticed.

For sure mate, I'll more than happy to do so for me, thanks a lot !! :D

also, I'm glad to be part of your helpful tech forums, thanks all for your replies.

Best of luck,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress