Questions about Samsun Galaxy Note 5 (New user)

A

AC Question

1. When the locked screen is on, is it normal for only certain notifications to be displayed? I usually only see notifications for WhatsApp and SMS (there will be a rectangular box in the middle of the screen that says something like "New messages").

2. I was using an S3 before this and I had no problem connecting it to my car's radio via Bluetooth. I simply cannot do it this time with Note 5. My car cannot detect my phone, but my phone can detect my car. Is this a phone problem or my car radio problem?

3. I listen to Spotify on my phone. Previously with the S3, when a call comes in, Spotify would immediately pause itself. But with Note 5, Spotify doesn't pause at all! I can't even cancel it before I answer my call! And I've been answering my calls but I've been telling the callers that I will call them back in a minute. How do I fix this?

4. With the S3, when the locked screen is on, there will still be a small widget that I can control Spotify (when Spotify is on; I don't remember doing anything different to the settings to make it appear). With Note 5, I can't figure out how to make that widget appear when my screen is locked. I will have to unlock my phone and open the App to switch things, if I want to. Again, is this a Spotify or Note 5 problem?

5. I have a default ringtone for WhatsApp and SMS. However, for one particular contact on WhatsApp, I have created a custom notification for incoming messages. I have found for the sounds to be inconsistent! Is this a WhatsApp or Note 5 problem?

Overall, I am still figuring things out but my impression thus far is this phone is quite wonky for a start. I'm doubting my purchase now :(

I know I have five questions in total. I hope one or many of you would be able to help me out. Thank you in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. When the locked screen is on, is it normal for only certain notifications to be displayed? I usually only see notifications for WhatsApp and SMS (there will be a rectangular box in the middle of the screen that says something like "New messages").
4. With the S3, when the locked screen is on, there will still be a small widget that I can control Spotify (when Spotify is on; I don't remember doing anything different to the settings to make it appear). With Note 5, I can't figure out how to make that widget appear when my screen is locked. I will have to unlock my phone and open the App to switch things, if I want to. Again, is this a Spotify or Note 5 problem?

Welcome to Android Central! These two issues might be related. Go to Settings>Sounds and Notifications>App Notifications, and make sure you haven't blocked specific apps. You can also check to see if any of the apps are set to hide their notification content on the lock screen. Also go to Settings>Lock Screen and Security>Notifications, and choose which apps you want to show notifications on the lock screen.

The S3 had lockscreen widgets on KitKat, and the Spotify control you're talking about was a lockscreen widget. Lockscreen widgets went away when Lollipop arrived, replaced by lockscreen notifications. These are notifications that essentially act like the old lockscreen widgets--but you have to make sure the app is set to show notifications on the lockscreen, as shown above.

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, I am also a new Android user (previous phones were iPhone).

I may be CRAZY, but I seem to recall that my Note 5 (the first few months I had it) would show the content of a notification in the status bar in addition to the icon up top. For example, when I receive a text message, the little envelope would show up in the status bar as well as the content of the text message itself would display briefly up top.
Or if I installed a new app, the status bar would briefly display "_________ Successfully installed".

But ever since I updated to 6.0.1, that feature has gone away. Now it's just the icons in my status bar.

Two questions:
1. Am I crazy, or does anyone else remember this feature?
2. If it was there, where did it go? How can I get it back?

I love the ability to see my notification content displayed "ticker style" as I would be using another app, etc. Please help!