How do you keep a program that requires access to GPS data running in the background?

A

AC Question

I am running a Galaxy Note 4 with Android 5.1.1 installed on it. I have a program that sends positional data back to a SQL server at head office. The positional information is required to assist in locating mobile workers to allocate jobs. So the app needs to continue running even if the app is running in the background. At the moment it works fine when on the screen but as soon as you launch another app it can no longer access the GPS data and though it continues to transmit data in the background it sends the same data on every update until you bring the app back on the screen when it starts to transmit the data correctly again.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The best solution - since (I would guess - I'd have to see the program specs to be sure) the app is normally used as a background app - would be to contact the developer and ask him, her or them to rewrite it so that it continues to run in the background., Unless the phone isn't supposed to be used for anything but that app (which would be unusual), the app was written incorrectly. (But I've only been designing systems for 40 years, so what do I know?)