Questions regarding firmwares and OS updates

A

AC Question

Hi, I currently have a Samsung S6 Edge unlocked with 5.1.1 android, just a few questions regarding firmwares and OS updates:

1) I went to this site (apparently this is considered spam, i didnt know sorry, but it is a website for downloading official firmwares) and saw that a lot of firmwares across the world already released the 6.0.1 update. As usual, the most common question is, why am I not getting the update considering that my phone is unlocked? But my real question is, what is the factor when releasing updates, a lot of people say it depends on your carrier, but what about my international unlocked phone where I am not dependent on a carrier, how come I am affected by this factor?

2) Looking at the website i posted from sammobile firmwares, if I use any of the firmwares posted for other countries using kies to update my phone, is that dangerous? Is it the same as like rooting your phone or anything "not the normal process"? What are my risks, and what do the "Unknown" mean on the country/carrier? Can I use the unknown or is it safer using for the other countries?

3) My brother currently has a carrier locked phone, so he is considered to have a more delayed time of receiving OS updates generally. If for example he bought a unlock code through trusted websites to may his phone carrier-independent, will it help him receive the OS updates faster with the same rate as other unlocked phones? Or unlocking phones does not have an effect on the OS updates?

I guess those are my ignorant questions for now. Hope you can help me out understanding the way of the Android, Android fans. Just went back to Android once more, hoping to give it another chance. Thank you guys!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I currently have a Samsung S6 Edge unlocked with 5.1.1 android, just a few questions regarding firmwares and OS updates:

1) I went to this site (apparently this is considered spam, i didnt know sorry, but it is a website for downloading official firmwares) and saw that a lot of firmwares across the world already released the 6.0.1 update. As usual, the most common question is, why am I not getting the update considering that my phone is unlocked? But my real question is, what is the factor when releasing updates, a lot of people say it depends on your carrier, but what about my international unlocked phone where I am not dependent on a carrier, how come I am affected by this factor?

2) Looking at the website i posted from sammobile firmwares, if I use any of the firmwares posted for other countries using kies to update my phone, is that dangerous? Is it the same as like rooting your phone or anything "not the normal process"? What are my risks, and what do the "Unknown" mean on the country/carrier? Can I use the unknown or is it safer using for the other countries?

3) My brother currently has a carrier locked phone, so he is considered to have a more delayed time of receiving OS updates generally. If for example he bought a unlock code through trusted websites to may his phone carrier-independent, will it help him receive the OS updates faster with the same rate as other unlocked phones? Or unlocking phones does not have an effect on the OS updates?

I guess those are my ignorant questions for now. Hope you can help me out understanding the way of the Android, Android fans. Just went back to Android once more, hoping to give it another chance. Thank you guys!

Welcome to Android Central!

You should be able to download and install Samsung Smart Switch on to your PC. You can then plug your phone in to the PC and it will check to see if there is an update for you phone. If there is it will give you the option to do the update.