How do I make the screens Keyboard Bigger? And add a Dictate icon.

A

AC Question

KB = Keyboard in the message.

I have a new Galaxy S7 (NOT AN EDGE). I upgraded from a Galaxy S3. The onscreen keyboard to send messages is so tiny i have a hard time typing. I have arrows to the LEFT or RIGHT that just shifts the small KB on the screen but doesn't make it bigger. I followed the directions under HELP for making the KB bigger.
To review, the instructions say go to:
Settings > Lang & Input > SS KB > KB Size.
Then adjust the height of the KB by dragging the handle of the KB up or down.

The problem is that the ADJUST KEYBOARD SIZE is grayed out and does nothing when I tap it. And this is fresh out of the box , no KB changes made. To be sure I chose RESET KB and still it was grayed out.

Also, the Samsung Screen KB does not have an ICON to allow me to dictate a message by voice.
I can chose HIGH CONTRAST KB and that is a lot bigger but I don't want High Contrast and still no ICON to dictate by voice.

I installed GOOGLE's KB because I was unable to type on the small Samsung KB and this works well. But I shouldn't have to install some 3rd party software just to use my phone's message features.

And then I tried to use my calculator. Same problem. Tiny KB, arrow to the Left or Right that lets me move the tiny KB to one side of the screen or the other but not to make it bigger.

This feels like window's 8 all over again.

Also, I have the phone locked in Portrait but it doesn't matter if this is on or off. I would like to fix this problem because I don't want to install new software for everything the phone should include. If one is not able to make the KB bigger and/or have the dictate icon ( what I really consider a safety feature ) then this is something that is important to buyers. Especially those with thick fingers. And BTW, I have small fingers.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
KB = Keyboard in the message.

I have a new Galaxy S7 (NOT AN EDGE). I upgraded from a Galaxy S3. The onscreen keyboard to send messages is so tiny i have a hard time typing. I have arrows to the LEFT or RIGHT that just shifts the small KB on the screen but doesn't make it bigger. I followed the directions under HELP for making the KB bigger.
To review, the instructions say go to:
Settings > Lang & Input > SS KB > KB Size.
Then adjust the height of the KB by dragging the handle of the KB up or down.

The problem is that the ADJUST KEYBOARD SIZE is grayed out and does nothing when I tap it. And this is fresh out of the box , no KB changes made. To be sure I chose RESET KB and still it was grayed out.

Also, the Samsung Screen KB does not have an ICON to allow me to dictate a message by voice.
I can chose HIGH CONTRAST KB and that is a lot bigger but I don't want High Contrast and still no ICON to dictate by voice.

I installed GOOGLE's KB because I was unable to type on the small Samsung KB and this works well. But I shouldn't have to install some 3rd party software just to use my phone's message features.

And then I tried to use my calculator. Same problem. Tiny KB, arrow to the Left or Right that lets me move the tiny KB to one side of the screen or the other but not to make it bigger.

This feels like window's 8 all over again.

Also, I have the phone locked in Portrait but it doesn't matter if this is on or off. I would like to fix this problem because I don't want to install new software for everything the phone should include. If one is not able to make the KB bigger and/or have the dictate icon ( what I really consider a safety feature ) then this is something that is important to buyers. Especially those with thick fingers. And BTW, I have small fingers.

Welcome to Android Central!

Try going to settings, applications, application manager, top right tap more, tap show system apps, scroll down till you find Samsung Keyboard, tap it and then tap storage, then tap clear data. That should complete reset the Keyboard. See if that fixes it. Also when you go in to the keyboard settings and you go to keyboard size it should give you the option on the bottom where the keyboard is display to drag and slide the size.