How much of a smartphone does this 1st time buyer need?

A

AC Question

Hi All,
I am having to buy my 1st smartphone and am having trouble deciding on several factors of the phone like how much to spend to get the right phone for myself. For my current carrier I need an unlocked GSM phone.
I am a self-employed electrician doing mainly service work and need a smartphone so I can accept credit card payments in the field. I am in and out of the truck all day and need somewhat of a durable phone. I like the 5 to 5.2 inch screen size and I for see doing very little gaming, mainly phone calls, texting, picture taking and some internet browsing for work. Things main change some after I get a smart phone and see what all they can do.
My considerations so far are:
1 Blu Life One X…$150 aprox
2) Moto G 2015…$220 aprox
3) Moto X 2014…$300 aprox
4) Nexus 5x…$340 aprox
The Moto X 2014 is the most appealing to me but I’m not sure why and budget tells me to try the Blu Life One X. Any advice for this 1st time buyer would be most appreciated. I have been reading reviews till I am totally confused.
Thanks everyone, Charlie

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Ting's GSM service is via TMobile, so a phone locked to TMobile will work, saving you money over an unlocked phone.

2. Square or a similar credit card reader will work on almost all current phones.

3. Cellphones aren't durable. You need a durable case. (I've [accidentally, of course] terribly abused my phone, but the Otterbox Defender case it's in has saved it on many occasions.) About the only current Android phones they have cases for are the S5, S6 and S7. Lifeproof also supports only the S5/S/SE and I believe it also supports the S6 now. Keeping the phone in a belt holster (on the side that's not your main hand) will also protect it (and Otterbox comes with a pretty strong holster).

Cheap Chinese phones have less support, sometimes they don't hold up as well, and you don't get updates on some of them. They're only cheaper when you buy them, not when you need to fix some little problem (that turns into "buy a new phone").

The Nexus phones are good buys for the money, but some of them lack some features. If the 5x has everything you need and you can find a decent TPU case for it, it might be your best bet.

Motorola? They used to make tanks. (My 2004 V551 still works fine.) I'm still witholding judgement on what happened after the cellphone division was sold twice.

You may find a gently used S5 within your budget at Swappa.