Google Now won't send texts when connected via in-car bluetooth

A

AC Question

When I use Google Now normally and say 'Send a text to ........' my phone then asks me what the message should be. However, I really want to use this function whikst driving. I have a Samsung S5 mini and have taken the steps to replace Samsung S-Voice with Google Now, including installing the BT GNow app. Whilst all other commands seem to work, and the phone is happy to talk to me, when I ask it to send a text it starts to perform this action by opening up the SMS screen with the recipient in the right place but it now fails to ask me what the message is and the car hands free cuts out as if it thinks the order is over. If I reconnect to the voice software by pressing the button on my steering wheel it exits this screen ready for fresh instructions. It did once take text messages properly but I was having issues getting it to go to Google Now as standard and by the time I figured out how to make this happen it developed the issue with sending texts.

Can anyone advise?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How exactly are you trying to send the SMS? Are you saying something like, "OK Google, text Joe that I'm running 5 minutes late"?

phughes1979

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
I can active Google Now by pressing the voice button on the steering wheel. As a voice command I simply say 'Send text to Joe'. When I do this not connected to BT it asks me what I want the message to be, then if I want to send it or change it. But in the car, when connected to BT nothing, it starts a message but then just hangs there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open Google Now, swipe in from the left, tap Settings>Voice>Hands-free, and make sure Bluetooth Devices is turned on. Also, in the Settings>Voice menu, make sure Bluetooth Headset is switched on. Does that help?

phughes1979

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Up to date I'm afraid. This morning it also randomly decided not to speak to me at all! When I ask a question i.e. what's the weather in London, it'll search for the result but brings up the Web page. It does not now read out the answer to me. None of my settings appear to have changed in either the Google settings or the language menu

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Sorry, I'm not sure what to try next. It's hard to know if it might be a problem with one of the Google components, or perhaps something from Samsung interfering.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12