How do you get the timer to have sound while the phone is on mute?

A

AC Question

I often keep my phone on mute, but still want the alarm and timer to have sound. The alarm is okay, but when I try to run the timer, it says "Sound mode set to mute. To hear Timer alerts, change sound mode setting." But I cannot figure out a way of making the timer have sound without changing the phone out of mute.

GRIMWALD

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
With two fingers swipe down to access the menus. Do not disturb icon is a circle with a horizontal line in the middle, just touch it to activate it.
It can also be accessed from your sounds and vibration settings from there you can set it to a schedule and allow exceptions.

GRIM

ooktheowl

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I tried what you suggested and several other things, and still cannot get a timer without the ringer turned on and "Do not disturb" turned off.

I put the device on "Do not disturb" with the sound on, and then created an "Exception" within "Do not disturb" for the Clock App. That did not solve the problem. The timer refuses to go off with "Do not distrub" turned on. I prefer "Mute" rather than "Do not disturb", because my phone still makes clicking noises when I type and "Do not disturb" is on.

I also tried downloading two different timers when "Do not disturb" was on (but phone sound was on), and neither made sound, even when I had those apps as exceptions under "Do not disturb".

Any other suggestions? I find it hard to believe that the only way to use a timer is to turn the ringer on. There are many situations (work, timer for a nap, etc) where someone wants to use a timer on a phone without getting calls.

GRIMWALD

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Perhaps you could use a different type of notification for your timer. In the accessibility settings, it is possible to have the camera flash for a notification.
I don't know if it can be selectively applied or if it is system wide and the same could also apply to a vibration notification.
I am sorry I can't be of more help, as a last resort, if you find an App. that you like. Try contacting the App. developer with your request.

GRIM