Samsung Galaxy s6 password locked after android update - password does not work

A

AC Question

I've been trying to get my phone unlocked for 4 days. I did an update and when it rebooted it asked for the password rather than a fingerprint or pin. As of now, I have entered every password I have ever used, twice. Samsung had me clear the cache partition already and that didn't work. I have the Google find my phone, which it can and it is now locked through that too.

The Samsung find my phone app is not activated. I didn't even know it existed. The Sprint store guy set it all up and handed it back to me so if it was during setup I never got an option to activate it.

My question is - is there anyway to bypass the password without having to wipe the phone. If not, is there anyway to get my photos and contacts off before wiping the phone or possibly after? I have have 10 months worth of photos that I really don't want to lose plus I just added a bunch of contacts last weekend.

Help!! Thanks!

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
You could try going to sprint but the obvious answer seems that you've exhausted all password chances and the phone thinks you stole it and had locked you out. There would be no point in security settings if there was a back door a thief could just get in...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This must be very frustrating. The backup password you created when you set up fingerprint unlock is very important, because the phone requires you to enter that password from time to time, as described here:

• When your fingerprint isn't recognized after a few tries
  • After restarting (rebooting) your device
  • After switching to a different user on the device
  • After more than 48 hours have passed since you last unlocked using your backup method

Had you never before been required to enter your password or PIN or pattern unlock as an adjunct to the fingerprint unlock?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you change your Google account password around this time as well? If so, you might have to wait 72 hours before you can log into the phone again.

amidnightowl

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
The Google lock has now expired but the 60 min password try is still in place. If I can catch it right at the end of the 60 minutes (in the last second) the phone will ask for a fingerprint or password. But, ha ha!! It won't take the fingerprint and as soon as the screen times out, it will only ask for the password.

I visited the Sprint store tech guy last night. His recommendation? Find someone to backdoor into the phone. Otherwise I can wipe it completely.

This seems ludicrous that you can't reset a password on your own phone and get locked out with the only recourse being to wipe the phone.

amidnightowl

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Update: I did find someone who was able to unlock the phone without losing any of my data. Android Genius in Newport Beach, CA was able to remove the password. It took about 10 days but I have it back and everything is good.