1) Shutting an app, 2) basic floating window 3) quick access

A

AC Question

Galaxy s7 edge
Q1) Am i missing the basic shut an open application button?
when any application is open, eg camera, I don't seem to be able to shut/quit the application... unless i take a longish route:
Currently I go to the button to the left of the home button. The one that allows you to view all the open apps in a layered way. Then i need to click it shut that way.
Is there not a 'quick' one-step shut this app way?
edit: oh, I've also discovered placing finger above screen on top left corner and quickly swiping down. that reduces the size of the open app. then you can select a mini-menu and then click 'quit'. But this too seems long winded and is 3 steps.

Q2) Am i missing a floating menu or something? I don't seem to be able to get a menu of basic options when i anything. is there one?

Q3) while using the internet I've managed to save something under "quick access". That's great, but how exactly do I access my 'quick access'? where is it stored? again, i feel like i'm missing a basic pop by floating menu somehow.

Thank you

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Q1 - just tap the home button or the back arrow next to it, that will return you to your home screen. While it may not SEEM like you're closing the app, Android will manage the available memory and completely unload it from memory when the space is needed for another active app. That button you're tapping to get the stacked list of apps, to then close the one you're in, is the recent apps list, it is not necessarily a list of active apps.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for joining, welcome.

If you're worried about one in particular, you can certainly kill it. Some will restart on their own. I kill apps from the recents list on my tablet as some staying there cause the device to lag some until they are forced out of memory. I'm not saying it should NEVER be done, but Android handles memory fairly well in recent builds and needing to kill apps has become less important in daily usage of Android, to the point that a need for task killers is almost non-existent (and use of one could negatively impact battery life).

I'll see if I can get someone to address your other questions.

woofster

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Out of habit and the fact that I like things nice & clean, I actually close each app as I'm done using it via the recent apps list (by opening the recent apps list, then swiping that app to the left, to the right or by tapping the 'X').

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa