I've been using an iteration of the iPhone since its release in 2007, with a jaunt into the realm of Android with the Moto X 2nd Gen 64gb Pure edition (Not to be mistaken with the Moto X Pure that was released later). I loved it, but unfortunately work forced me back into the world of iOS. Right now, the ONLY thing about iOS that I appreciate is iMessages, but when I had my Moto X, I didn't miss it all that much.

All of that said and done, I'd like to dive back into Android - I'm looking at the Moto Z Unlocked and the Google Pixel XL. I'm leaning toward the Pixel because of fast updates and security patches, but the Moto Z is pretty cool, especially with the Hasselblad module.

Of those two, which do you think is the better investment?

Is there another Android phone out there you would recommend over these two?

Thank you for your time.

-Micah
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.
    01-26-2017 10:29 AM
    Great question and right up there with what's the meaning of life....LOL
    I just went through this a few weeks ago; LG V10 Boot Looped and needed to get something that wasn't made by LG.
    I went with very specific criteria:
    5.5" screen or larger
    Built in wireless charging
    Expandable Memory
    IP68 waterproof rating
    Good or great camera
    Preferably not USB-C
    Good to great screen clarity and color
    I learned a long time ago that updates are a non issue for me. Ultimately the updates are never life changing to the point where I would use the phone any differently. Usually a few days after an update it's business as usual with no real recollection of an update.

I like the Pixel and Moto Z like you but they were missing some of the key criteria that I was after.
    I really liked the HTC10 but wanted a bigger screen. Built like a tank and really nice looking.
    I ended up with a Samsung S7 Edge, so far so good!
    Good luck whichever way you go. In my opinion it would be hard to go wrong with any of the current flagship models.
    01-26-2017 12:47 PM
    Only problem with Samsung is that I hate TouchWiz.
    01-26-2017 12:55 PM
    Yeah, a lot of people feel the same way. I always use Nova Pro...

Only problem with Samsung is that I hate TouchWiz.
    01-26-2017 01:07 PM
    The Pixel will give you an experience much closer to the iPhone. No middleman between the people who build the OS and you that way.

But is that what you want from Android? The Pixel is the cleanest and responsive Android phone you can buy. It;s responsive and fast because it has the best touchscreen available and it's not doing much besides what you're telling it to do. Phones have limited hardware. The more you ask of them them harder it becomes to do it efficiently.

If you liked the Moto Z's camera mod, do it.

If you want Google to decide what version of software is best for your phone and make sure you have it when you need it, get the Pixel.

There is no wrong answer
    01-26-2017 02:46 PM
    I have the iPhone 6S+ and Huawei Mate 9.

Rarely use iPhone at all. Huawei EMUI launcher and skin, interface, is slick and for me best Android experience. Went through Samsung and Black B Blackberry last year before Mm ate 9.

I just can't use iOS too many petpeeve issues and the physical home key, lack of features.

Right now though, depends on price range and if waiting for galaxy S8 or something.
    01-26-2017 03:14 PM
    I have the Moto Z. It had the low volume notification problem and for some reason my carrier wasn't pushing out Nougat.
    A couple sideloads later and it's the perfect phone. Daydream's fun. Looking forward to new moto mods.
    Maybe the G6 or HTC U Ultra would be good bets as well
    01-26-2017 04:58 PM
    I'm looking at the Moto Z Unlocked and the Google Pixel XL. I'm leaning toward the Pixel because of fast updates and security patches, but the Moto Z is pretty cool, especially with the Hasselblad module.

Of those two, which do you think is the better investment?

Is there another Android phone out there you would recommend over these two?
    Based on those 2 options as many have said, the Pixel will provide you with much faster updates from Google which is really nice. I personally like stock Android and prefer not to have a heavy skin on top, to make things 'better'. Especially things like touchwiz. The phone absolutely flys. Couldn't believe how quick it is. Even loading Snapchat it up in 1 second. Google definitely put some special sauce in it haha.

Alternatives, as a Blackberry fan, i would recommend the DTEK60. It has near stock Android and the security patches are super quick. Normally the first every month. (unlocked). The software updates will be a fair bit slower than the Pixel though. Actually much slower but its at a cheaper price ad you never know, you may enjoy it.
    01-28-2017 02:40 AM
    LG V20.
    01-28-2017 07:48 PM
    LG V20 Here, also.

Beautiful, solid, fast, great camera, ...

It really is a good phone.
    01-31-2017 12:59 PM
    At the moment...... LG V20 IMHO
    01-31-2017 01:29 PM