Weird lock screen just appeared, is it a virus?

A

AC Question

I have never seen this welcome/lock screen but it just appeared on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S6). It says good evening at the top and the background scrolls theough a variety of random images. At the bottom it says "slide to unlock" in bright pink. The options (three stacked squares) button only says "mute for now", which made the screen go away. Also, swiping to unlock only revealed my regular unlock screen. I have a screenshot but I don't know how to include it in this thread since I'm on my phone. I don't know how this screen appeared or if it's malware or what. I just want to see if it's safe and figure out how to get rid of it. Thanks!!

bl_ondi

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
The exact same thing just happened to me...I created this account so that I could reply to you! I ended up swiping to unlock and it brought be to my regular home screen...Not too sure if it did anything else. I was using Nova Launcher, but I just deleted it in case it was that. Other than that and an icon pack (that I didn't end up using), I haven't installed any lesser-known apps...

micolithe

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I also just got this for the first time today. What is this thing?

Apps that were recently updated today were Google, Spotify, and Android System WebView

I'm using an HTC One M9 with stock HTC Sense as my launcher.

EDIT: It looks like it might be Peel Smart Remote? http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...1-weird-lock-screen-while-phone-charging.html

I don't use Peel Smart at all, it was preinstalled when I got my M9, so I'm going to uninstall/disable it.

Attachments

• 2017-03-28 20.39.47.jpg
    2017-03-28 20.39.47.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Cee Note

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
I just checked on my Samsung Galaxy S6 while it was charging and I saw THE EXACT SAME SCREEN. Any clues about what it is? My only guess is my PicsArt app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170328-202528.jpg
    Screenshot_20170328-202528.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

bl_ondi

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Yeah it seems to be Peel Smart Remote. I disabled it and whatnot and that fixed it. I also found another post on here related to this topic, and if you check the app's reviews there's a bunch about this too.

Babbaroni

Jun 28, 2017
Visit site
even worse

I have that weird screen that just popped up a day or tow ago, then went away, but tonight after charging it a bit it cam back and I CAN'T UNLOCK IT! I've tried swiping in every direction, I've tried tapping the three dots that said "tap here to customize", I can't turn the phone off or get to the home screen... in other words, I can't to ANYTHING with my phone. It's a Samsun Galaxy S-5 that was previously owned and used by a family member. I've been using it for about a month or two without this problem. I can't uninstall anything because I can't get pas this stupid alternating scenery screen. The pics look like those shown in this thread. Can anybody help me???

Selwood24

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
Created an account here just to say thank you.

This has been annoying me for a while now and I had no idea where it came from, it just appeared out of nowhere one day, and the lock screen only seems to come on when the charger is plugged in.

I finally had enough of it and was even about to restore my phone haha. So I decided to do a google search and what do you know, this was the first result from Google.

I've now disabled 'Peel Smart' app, as it won't let me uninstall the app only uninstall updates.

Thanks again!

autonutt

Aug 9, 2017
Visit site
Thank you guys for this.. the weird lock screen started appearing for me last week, but now I also know the source of the weird battery low notifications that started appearing a few months ago! If you want to keep Peel Smart Remote but disable these annoyances, just open the app and go to Settings > Notifications > General and disable both Smart Lock Screen and Battery Saver Alerts!

NeoMatrixCF_ru

Aug 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi, all!
I registered here for slouton this problem.
I have Alkatel Pixi 3,5 and fourth time deleted Joy Lockscreen.
But this app again install in my phone.
What is this? Are virus or legal applycation?
I want to add ban-list for install this app to my phone but not know how to make this.
Help me please!

PS. Sorry my english and with love from Russia!
Thank for helps.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi, all!
I registered here for slouton this problem.
I have Alkatel Pixi 3,5 and fourth time deleted Joy Lockscreen.
But this app again install in my phone.
What is this? Are virus or legal applycation?
I want to add ban-list for install this app to my phone but not know how to make this.
Help me please!

PS. Sorry my english and with love from Russia!
Thank for helps.

Welcome. :)

After uninstalling it - the best way being to Clear Cache, Clear Data, Force Stop, and Uninstall - try putting the phone into Safe Mode. Does the app still install again?

Disinteresteduser

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
Had this too. It also displays full screen ads at random. If you have this lock screen use the task switcher on it and you will be able to see the title of the app that's causing it.
P.s. goodbye peel smart remote for me too
P.p.s I read this was called DU malware

Abarra

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Look for a peel remote.

The peel remote has a lock screen that is annoying as crap. The longer it is installed and operation the worse it gets. Have missed phone calls because I couldn't simply answer, had to watch a commercial first, then select yes... yes... my phone is on vibrate (I'm at work, my phone is vibrating, boss is calling) then got another add, closed it and then had to call them back, absolutely ridiculous. Video adds were playing at full volume even in silent mode on my phone, during games, typing texts, and videos (with sound) started playing during phone calls.

I rooted my phone and uninstalled.

What worked on my other devices with it (if you don't want to root) do as others have suggested, force stop, disable, clear cache then
What is missed is go to Google Playstore
Select peel remote, and disable auto updates for it, because if you don't. It will run again next update, and they seem to add new advertisements daily.

Hope this helps you guys.

Mike Rhea

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
This bloatware app(Peel Remote)was either pre-installed on my still-active Galaxy S4 Active when I first got it(early June 2014)or force-installed by Scamsung on a later Android update/upgrade.It really started to rear its ugly head this past summer with the lock screensaver described.With battery life having fallen off a cliff within the past month or two(Peel is far from the lone culprit,though),I probably should think about an upgrade,but would like to know if there are any Android phone models/makes that are mercifully missing Peel's apps beforehand.Not to mention that I have unfinished business with what I have(please don't go,mPoints)...

Nicole H1

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I was reading through this as it appeared and I don't have the peel app? I was just wondering what it looked like,.if it has other names or where to disable it?

Same here! Never even heard of peel smart or whatever. I already uninstalled all new apps I downloaded. How do I determine what app is causing this screen? Ya know lol frustrated for sure.