Android Pay - why is it asking for lock screen password when the screen is unlocked?

A

AC Question

Wondering if anyone else has seen this.. it correlates to the day I got the EMUI5 update (which is weeks ago now) but everytime i use android pay it asks for my lock screen password before it will actually allow the transaction to occur. The phone is unlocked. Smart (un)Lock is disabled. I've uninstalled/re-installed android pay. Disabled/enabled the lock screen entirely.. but it persists. It's frustrating, as it was working beautifully prior to the update. And it DOES work, but with this added inconvenience of having to enter the lock screen code for every transaction.

Perhaps it's not related to the update.. but the timing is suspect. Anyway.. anyone seen this?

Richard Harding

Nov 5, 2017
Visit site
I had this problem because my Android Wear watch is a trusted device and keeps the phone open without needing to enter password. Android Pay apparently requires that a password be entered, and if this hasn't been done prior to checkout it will ask for it. I solved the problem with the following workaround:

Go to Settings/Lock Screen and Security/Secure Lock Settings/secured lock time
Set the lockout time for a relatively short interval such as 3 minutes

Then, prior to entering the shop where you intend to use Android Pay, turn off the Bluetooth on your phone. This will temporarily disable the Smart Lock function, so that as you approach checkout, you will need to log on at the lock screen using your password. Having already logged on with your password, Android Pay will not request your password again at checkout. This has worked for me, and I just need to remember to turn on Bluetooth again when I'm done.

Chris Turek1

Sep 10, 2019
Visit site
I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT! It seems you need to unlock your phone just prior to using it to pay. If you have had it unlocked for too long it requires you to enter your password. I think most of us are probably on our phone waiting to pay and thats why it prompts for password. try locking and unlock phone immediately before paying. For a bunch of smart people google sure is dumb for not telling people about this more directly. I came across this text in the G Pay help sections "The last time you tried to pay in stores, your phone was locked or too much time had passed since you unlocked your phone. Next time, try unlocking your device right before you pay."
Good lcuk