I have been an iPhone user since they came out, but I've considered switching to Android lately. The efficiency, customization, and superior hardware has me envious. I was wondering if those benefits are worth the drawbacks like carrier bloatware, delayed OS updates, and Google having access to your data?
    05-18-2017 08:32 PM
    Welcome to the forums. Carrier bloat and delayed updates can be mitigated if you get a Nexus or a Pixel device. For the most part, that's the most trimmed down and quickest path to updates.

As for who has your data....Apple already has almost as much as Google does. The biggest culprit is probably the one you didn't mention: Facebook. Google having my data doesn't really concern me much.
    05-18-2017 08:38 PM
    Get a Pixel (new one is speculated for the Fall but nothing concrete announced) and you eliminate 2 of your concerns (bloatware and delayed updates).
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    05-18-2017 10:14 PM
    I have been an iPhone user since they came out, but I've considered switching to Android lately. The efficiency, customization, and superior hardware has me envious. I was wondering if those benefits are worth the drawbacks like carrier bloatware, delayed OS updates, and Google having access to your data?
    Buy unlocked and you don't have to worry about bloatware, what does come installed can mostly be deleted if not deactivated. As far as updates go pixel is the best route for timely updates, unlocked phones also get more timely updates because they don't have to go through the the carrier update.

Also with Android "O" it is looking like the core system and manufacturer system will have 2 separate partitions. Google can push a core update for security patches to all Android phones and then the manufacturer takes care of the rest.

As far as privacy all phones are susceptible, just by simply being connected to the internet with out a VPN. If you are speaking about iMessage encryption then you can just download an encrypted messaging app. If you have a Google email, Facebook, Instagram, or anything social media related then everyone already has access to you data. You can opt out of all the things that Google collects data for as well.
    05-19-2017 12:08 PM
    Buy unlocked and you don't have to worry about bloatware, what does come installed can mostly be deleted if not deactivated. As far as updates go pixel is the best route for timely updates, unlocked phones also get more timely updates because they don't have to go through the the carrier update.

Also with Android "O" it is looking like the core system and manufacturer system will have 2 separate partitions. Google can push a core update for security patches to all Android phones and then the manufacturer takes care of the rest.

As far as privacy all phones are susceptible, just by simply being connected to the internet with out a VPN. If you are speaking about iMessage encryption then you can just download an encrypted messaging app. If you have a Google email, Facebook, Instagram, or anything social media related then everyone already has access to you data. You can opt out of all the things that Google collects data for as well.
    The separate system partitions happened in 7.0. As far as I know, the second partition is only present on devices that have 7.0 initially installed.
    05-19-2017 02:40 PM
    The separate system partitions happened in 7.0. As far as I know, the second partition is only present on devices that have 7.0 initially installed.
    It was introduced in 7.0 from the article I read it's actually going to be fully utilized for the purpose of allowing security updates to go to all phones with "O" with no need to have the manufacturer build it into their version of Android.

When the pixel line gets the new security update everyone with "O" will get it.
    05-19-2017 08:26 PM
    It was introduced in 7.0 from the article I read it's actually going to be fully utilized for the purpose of allowing security updates to go to all phones with "O" with no need to have the manufacturer build it into their version of Android.

When the pixel line gets the new security update everyone with "O" will get it.
    I might be mistaken, but I think they are taking advantage of the vendor partition, not the duplicate system partition. The duplicate system partition is what allows updates to occur seamlessly; basically, getting rid of the app optimization.
    05-20-2017 10:30 AM