Can't Transfer Files to a New Phone Because of a Constant Black Screen

A

AC Question

Hello there. I have a seriously stupid problem.

A little while back (about a week or two ago), my HTC One M8 sustained some water damage due to me stupidly spilling some water on it. I put the phone in rice in a small baggy and waited for like four hours (probably wasn't long enough but I was panicking) and the phone works perfectly fine. Only problem is that the screen itself is the only thing that's actually damaged.

The phone charges, it gets notifications, everything. But the screen is so incredibly dim that it appears black and it's pretty much impossible to see anything on it. So I can never really tell what I'm doing.

Now, I can deal with not having everything from my old phone, but I at least want my pictures. I have screenshots of important info and memories on that phone. Thing is, ever since the dreaded incident, when I plug in that phone to my laptop, the folder for it reads "this folder is empty". Now, when I went to the AT&T store to end up getting a new phone, they didn't wipe the data off my old one or anything. So I have no idea why that's suddenly happening and I can't see the files from the phone anymore. Lucky me, my screen is black so I can't really do anything on that end. I tried looking up solutions but no one else seems to have had to deal with this "black screen" problem. I have no idea what to do. From what I've read, I could use a cable to connect a mouse to my phone and then view my phone's screen from my laptop, but apparently that requires USB debugging mode and there's no way I can pull that off without being able to see my screen. Is there ANYTHING I can do? Sorry for the long message and thank you for your time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you connect via USB, you usually have to swipe down the notification panel, tap the USB icon, and select MTP or File Transfer. The default connection might be Charge Only, which means the computer can't read it.

The way you describe it, it sounds like you might be able to barely see the screen. Try doing this in a completely dark room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non