Hey all, regrettably this is another "I dropped my phone" post, however this time the screen is not cracked. Actually I dropped it about 50cm with a flip case over the screen so I thought it would be fine, but a large thumb-sized area of the screen is now non-responsive.

The problem that this causes is that I can't enter my HDD decryption password on boot, since one of the characters that I need is within this non-responsive patch.

Does anyone have any ideas to get the phone to boot or to fix the issue? It would be nice to recover some data, at least.

The two thoughts that I had were, as stated in the question, to a) flip the orientation of the screen, thereby allowing me to type my password or b) to use an external keyboard via micro USB I guess. However I can foresee that perhaps for the early-in-the-boot-process HDD decryption password the necessary software isn't yet enabled to support either of these methods.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    05-30-2017 04:42 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! The USB keyboard is a good idea, but you'd need an OTG adapter for it as well (which should be inexpensive).
    05-30-2017 05:42 PM