I dropped my phone and it restarted. Why?

A

AC Question

I dropped my Samsung J36V phone into linoleum from a height of about 3 feet. When it hit the ground, my phone restarted itself. Can anybody tell me why this happens and the purpose of this?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't know that it's something that's designed to happen, in which case it can hardly be said to have a purpose. The impact presumably caused internal things to happen accidentally. You were lucky it restarted, rather than stopping. :)

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Most likely, the impact caused the battery terminals to temporarily lose contact with the phone, thus causing the phone to lose power then restart when the battery reconnected.

This all assumes no internal damage was done to the fragile internal parts of the phone.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my Samsung J36V phone into linoleum from a height of about 3 feet. When it hit the ground, my phone restarted itself. Can anybody tell me why this happens and the purpose of this?

I'd be less worried about why it happened and just appreciate your phone is still working. Why it did or did not restart itself is a minor issue to me, I'd be more focused on what happened to cause that accidental drop and even more focused on preventing it from ever happening again. Consider yourself lucky this time, should it happen again might not turn out as well.