Someone answered this before and simply said 'to get up to shady business'. Could someone please elaborate? Provide some more info, like what it means? And why? And where to look for proof of 'shady business'. Suspect hidden chat apps, ways to surf without detection, etc.

What has he been doing, or using, that would cause multiple ip addresses?
    07-16-2017 06:34 PM
    Each network connection type will have a separate IP address.
    The mobile data connection will have an IP address assigned by the carrier.
    Each wifi connection will give the device a new IP address internal to that wifi system.
    07-17-2017 04:41 AM
    Aside from what ManiacJoe said, each connection has an internal IP address and an external IP address - you're on two networks on wifi and two networks on mobile data - the one from your phone to your router (for wifi) or your carrier (for mobile data) and the internet - an internal IP address and an external IP address. (Not at the same time, of course - you're either on a wifi connection or a mobile data connection.)

Devices (phones, tablets, computers, etc., don't come with IP addresses, they're given an internal IP address by the device connecting them to the internet - and that device has an external IP address on the internet. So, for the normal cellphone, you can see a total of 4 IP addresses, two if you're connected by wifi, a different two if you're connected by mobile data.

There's nothing 'shady' about it - that's how the internet works.
    07-17-2017 03:35 PM
    Good point about the internal and external IP addresses. I just glossed over that part....
    07-18-2017 02:33 PM