Why would an android have multiple ip addresses?

A

AC Question

Someone answered this before and simply said 'to get up to shady business'. Could someone please elaborate? Provide some more info, like what it means? And why? And where to look for proof of 'shady business'. Suspect hidden chat apps, ways to surf without detection, etc.

What has he been doing, or using, that would cause multiple ip addresses?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Each network connection type will have a separate IP address.
The mobile data connection will have an IP address assigned by the carrier.
Each wifi connection will give the device a new IP address internal to that wifi system.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Aside from what ManiacJoe said, each connection has an internal IP address and an external IP address - you're on two networks on wifi and two networks on mobile data - the one from your phone to your router (for wifi) or your carrier (for mobile data) and the internet - an internal IP address and an external IP address. (Not at the same time, of course - you're either on a wifi connection or a mobile data connection.)

Devices (phones, tablets, computers, etc., don't come with IP addresses, they're given an internal IP address by the device connecting them to the internet - and that device has an external IP address on the internet. So, for the normal cellphone, you can see a total of 4 IP addresses, two if you're connected by wifi, a different two if you're connected by mobile data.

There's nothing 'shady' about it - that's how the internet works.

SweetApril12

Jan 28, 2019
Visit site
Hello , I really hope that someone can help me figure this out, or Help me Understand.
I have 3 Different IP addresses On my Cell phone , None of which are the same as my Wifi,
But Different IP addresses Show up under my Google account, Active Devices and Activities ??
Also My Cell Shows up as a Galaxy but it Alerted Me That
A Completely different Device Changed my System Settings at 3am & On Several occasions .
Fed Up, Any Help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED