Certain Android-based phones can't access cameras via WiFi

A

AC Question

Hi folks, I have a problem now with two different Android-6 based phones, a Motorola Moto-G V3, and an LG Stylo 2. When I try to connect to my cameras via WiFi, the phones claim a connection, proceed to tell me that there's no internet connection, but the cameras themselves never actually connect to the phones and then time out. So essentially I can't access the data in the cameras wirelessly. My old Android 4.2.1 tablet, a Galaxy J7 running Android 6.1, and newer LG Stylo 3 running Android 7 can connect and access data on the cameras. The cameras are Nikon, Canon, and Panasonic models running through their respective Android apps.

Although my present phone, the LG Stylo 2, automatically updated it's Android and lists it as 7.0 (from 6.x), I still can't get the cameras to sync, even though the phone states it's connected. Any ideas what causes this? Is this a hardware issue, or something else? Thanks for any help with this.

Vidrazor

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. The cameras are a Nikon 1 J4, Panasonic GM5, and Canon G9X Mk II. The software is Nikon WMU, Panasonic Image App, and Canon Camera Connect.

Frankly, camera model and apps don't matter, because they simply work on certain phones or tablets and they don't on these particular phones, my present Stylo 2 being the immediate problem, so it's either a hardware issue or an OS issue. I first noticed the problem when one of my previous phones (I believe it was the Moto G) updated to Android 6.x (don't remember exactly what version), after that none of the cameras would connect anymore. However the Samsung J7 is 6.x, and the cameras can connect with it. The Stylo 3 is 7.0 and works on it. So I'm at a loss as to why I can't connect on certain phones. If it's a hardware issue I'm screwed, but if it's an OS issue then what is it about security and/or WiFi connection settings that need to be adjusted for them to work?

Thanks again.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
On the phone where they apps are not connecting:

Try clearing the app cache for the apps not connecting.
If that does not help, I would try uninstalling the camera apps and installing again in case something did not work out during the OS upgrade.

Vidrazor

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Ha, that did it! The Nikon and Panasonic apps only needed the "Clear Cache" and "Clear Data" processes, but the Canon app required a complete uninstall and reinstall for some reason. Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87