iOS to Android Convert - Galaxy S8 Questions

A

AC Question

Hey,
I just switched from an iPhone 7 Plus to a Galaxy S8 and love it, but I got a few questions.

For pictures I downloaded the google photos app, so when I go to photos.google.com it has all my pictures. Is there a simple way to sync them to my Mac or even to the default Mac Photos App?

The battery seems to drain really fast. Lasts about from 7am to 7pm with some usage of Line, Whatsapp and those apps. Do I need to close each app manually to save battery life?

How do I take a screenshot?

Do I need to install anti virus software? If so, which is recommended? I don't want a resource hog to slow my phone down.

How do I backup my phone to my Macbook?

Where can I purchase/edit songs to make them my ringtones?

What is the default music app? Google Play isn't supported in my country (Thailand).

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help ;)

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
I just switched from an iPhone 7 Plus to a Galaxy S8 and love it, but I got a few questions.

For pictures I downloaded the google photos app, so when I go to photos.google.com it has all my pictures. Is there a simple way to sync them to my Mac or even to the default Mac Photos App?

The battery seems to drain really fast. Lasts about from 7am to 7pm with some usage of Line, Whatsapp and those apps. Do I need to close each app manually to save battery life?

How do I take a screenshot?

Do I need to install anti virus software? If so, which is recommended? I don't want a resource hog to slow my phone down.

What is the default music app? Google Play isn't supported in my country (Thailand).

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help ;)

Not sure about the Google Photos part because I stick to the stock photos app and backup to OneDrive.

For the first few days your phone will be downloading updates etc so that will use a fair bit of battery then after a few days apps will start to be optimised and put to sleep in the background of you font use them often, this helps a lot.

Screenshot - power button + volume down held down together til you see the screen do a little shrinking animation.

No need to install antivirus software, don't believe the horror stories. Antivirus software will only eat up your battery even more and slow your phone down. There's actually security built on where you can do malate scans etc in the Device Maintenance app.

The default music app is either Samsung Music or Google Play Music. You may have to download the Samsung Music app yourself from the Galaxy Apps app.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you just hit home (it's tempting, coming from an iPhone), the app is still running, still using battery. It's best to hit the back button until you're at your home screen again (or use 'Exit' in the app's menu, it there is one.

Do I need to install anti virus software?
Need to? No. Nut there are Android (and iOS) viruses out there, so it's a good idea to. (Someone posting here just a short while ago was asking for help to remove some ransomware from his phone.)

If so, which is recommended? I don't want a resource hog to slow my phone down.
I use Avast Mobile Security & Antivirus and it doesn't slow my phone down. There are others that are good - the big 3 are Avast, AVG and Avira.

That might be easy or difficult, depending on OSX. (I haven't used a Mac since the big off-white 128KB in 1985.) Plug the phone into a USB port in the Mac. If it appears as a drive (the phone might ask you which of 3 functions you want - you want MTP), just drag & drop. Otherwise, you can install something like WiFi File Transfer and use the web browser in the Mac to download the files to the Mac.

Any mp3 file will work, but if you want one that only lasts 2 or 3 seconds, you can use Ringtone Maker to chop any mp3 file from any beginning spot to any end spot, from any mp3 file, and make your own. (Put it into a folder named Ringtones, (Alarms are in a folder named Alarms and notification tones are in a folder named Alarms.)

Or you can install ZEDGE and download (for free - most Android apps and ringtones/alarms/notifications are free) whatever you like - they have thousands of tones.

If Google Play isn't supported, see if Amazon's download is - if it is, go to Amazon App]the download app download page[/url], install it and you can download any music app you prefer.

That's one thing about Android - you aren't forced to use the app that's "standard". There are even launchers that look more like an iPhone if you prefer that look.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana