Android system wont update

A

AC Question

My brother has asked me to look at his Android Box as its running very slow .. I noticed the Android version is stuck on 4.4.4 !! and no matter what I try its just not updating .. ! Its got me driven round the bend !

Is it just fit for the bin ?

Android box in question is about 4 year old and the update check says its got the latest - but it hasnt haha !

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What's the brand and model number? It's most likely that the manufacturer never released any updates beyond 4.4.4. You may want to try a factory reset to wipe the slate clean, and see if that speeds things up.

Teletubbie

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi B Diddy and thanks for the welcome to the Android Central :) ... The android box itself is an Emish Rockchip 3128 .. I have done a factory reset to no avail ! I have managed to find a spec for it and it says operating system is 4.4.4 but surely I can update it to the latest version ? My brother wants to use Kodi and it wont install after version 16.1 due to the age of the OS ! I think we might be fighting a losing battle !

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The availability of official system updates for Android devices is dependent on the device manufacturer, as well as the wireless carrier (if applicable). Just because Google has released Nougat doesn't mean any Android device can get it -- the code has to be tweaked and tested by individual manufacturers, due to hardware and firmware variations. Your best bet would be to search to see if anyone has developed a custom ROM for that exact device based on a higher version of Android. The device would have to be rooted to flash this custom ROM. If you don't have any luck here, try Freaktab, which tends to have a more robust Android TV box discussion: TV PLAYER SUPPORT - FreakTab.com

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer