Use WiFi ONLY for data transfer? Is this possible?

EvanKr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, all,

Wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with this...

I purchased a wireless tethering tool to connect my DSLR camera to my Nexus 6P. Essentially, the tethering tool creates a WiFi hotspot from the camera that then allows you to control and receive images from the camera from your smartphone over WiFi. I purchased it primarily to be able to take high quality photos with a DSLR and have them uploaded to social media in a matter of minutes.

The problem I've run into is that my Android phone recognizes the WiFi hotspot emitted from my camera as a regular WiFi network, despite the fact that there's obviously no internet. This means in order to post anything to social media, I need to disconnect the camera by turning off WiFi, and turn it back on later to reconnect to the camera. This can become quite a pain when it takes about 60 seconds to reconnect.

I'm wondering if there's a way to tell my Nexus 6P to use the WiFi network only for data transfer, and access the internet over LTE. I've tried digging through my settings (running 7.1.2), but can't seem to figure anything out. Anyone have any insight as to whether or not this is possible?

Thanks in advance!

E

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not that familiar with the software on Nexus phones, it may be possible to do it as a Wi-Fi direct connection, I think that would allow you to use the LTE for data. I've never tried it on a phone, it's just a theory to look into.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance