How to backup folders and home pages on unrooted phone?

migs_inc

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I see there are a few apps that backup everything including the folders, apps in folders, a d home pages on Android. However, everything I found is for rooted phones. Is there an app that does this for unrooted phones?

I have an LG V10 with Marshmallow.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. "Folders" are just entries in the "parent folder's" file list, they aren't physical things.

2. To back up a folder, plug the phone into your PC, find the folder and drag it to wherever you want your backups on your PC.

3. To back up apps, use App Backup & Restore, then copy the App_Backup_Restore folder to your PC. To back up the home page setup, that depends on the launcher you're using. Nova, for example, has a backup function, then you can back that folder up to your PC.

None of this requires rooting, unless some of the things you want to back up don't have read access for the user named 'everyone' (which is you). That might need rooting, because you're running in a Linux OS (that's just the way Android is), and your PC probably can't read a folder you don't have read access to. (If the phone is rooted, you - and the PC - become 'superuser', which has all access to everything. Which can be dangerous, because one bad command can delete all files on the phone, including Android and Linux.)

migs_inc

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a Mac environment (MB Pro), and unlike my former Windows PC, I can neither view nor move folders from phone to PC; cannot view them. I was hoping there was a backup utility that also backed up folders, the screen location of folders, etc. When I restore, I want the same look and feel. Any other options?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There may be one for an LG phone, but it probably only comes in Windows versions. Try installing Google Drive on your Mac. If you can do that, you can install it on your phone, then send the backup files to Google Drive and download them to the Mac. (It's always a good idea to have at least one local backup and at least one cloud backup - you can never tell when the Mac will go bad, or when some hacker organization brings Google Drive down.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch