Samsung s7 will not sync to google contacts or google calendar

rodhecker

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
I have had this problem for a couple of months and have tried all that I have read on the message boards. Even did a reset. Here is my issue. Any contacts of calendar items I enter into gmail or the google calendar will sync to gmail or my google calendar on my phone. However, when I enter contacts or calendar events on my phone they don't update google on my computer (or Ipad, etc).

I have tried using samsung exchange as an alternative and same problem. Any ideas? My computer is running windows 10

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Look carefully at which account you're adding those contacts or events to on your phone. You're probably adding them to either the Device account or the Samsung account. The Device account doesn't sync anywhere, and the Samsung account only syncs with your Samsung account in the cloud.

On the phone, open the Contacts app and select one of those contacts that isn't syncing with your Google account. Edit it -- which account does it say it belongs to?

rodhecker

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
I did this. It does not show me an account (or can you tell me where I find the account) It only says "phone". On my other contacts it says "phone" and "google". I am guessing this is the issue. How do I change this to add google? When I go to the google app settings on the phone I do have sync turned on for contacts.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The available accounts are Phone (or Device), SIM or your Google account.

Export the contacts, turn on Airplane mode, use that file to import the exported file into Google Contacts (you'll need a computer, laptop or some other device), delete all the contacts from your phone, then turn off Airplane mode and it will sync to the contacts in Google contacts.

In the future, when entering a new contact, the first thing you should do is tap that "Phone" choice and choose Google. (Don't ask me why they chose to make Phone the default, and not let you change it if you edit a contact. I think they made a big mistake with that.)

rodhecker

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, That is what it is, I need to change the phone choice each time. And for others who might read this, when you add an event on your calendar to your phone you also need to change the event to the right account as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you figured it out! The ability to make the Google account the default one is not universal -- I think some devices might let you do this, but not all. So if you can't find a setting to make it default, then you may have to remember to choose it each time.

Try doing it a few times, though, and see if the phone starts to remember your preference.